+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine only get water one water bottle and sometimes a frozen small bottle in their lunch box to help keep whatever is in the lunch box cold.

Sandwich or tin of tuna, or a roll depending on what we have.
    Wraps cut up with Hommus.
    Carrot sticks (occasionally, if I send them all the time my oldest stops eating them).
    Fruit sometimes the only fruit they will eat in their lunch box is grapes. They have fruit when they come home instead otherwise it goes to waste.
    Home baking eg small scones, slice, biscuits, mini muffins
    Pizza scrolls
    Cheese (the babel sp?)
    Rice wheels or rice crackers.
    Corn thins or Salada type crackers.
    Bar eg fruit bar or whatever is on special

They do not have all above on one day. They usually have 2 things for lunch and 2 things for morning tea depending on what I have made. I feel bad when they come home saying they were still hungry at lunch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work on the '5 thing' rule for nutrition and i try and include one thing from each catergory each day.

Wholewheat carbs - Bread, wraps, crackers, Pasta, Rice, potato

Protein - Tuna, Eggs, Nuts, Seeds

Fruit- Piece of fruit, fruit salad, tinned fruit

Vegetable- Salad in sanga's and wraps, vegie sticks chopped up, cherry tomatos celery etc

Dairy- Cheese, yogurt, custard.

Some regular items I make are :

Egg and lettuce sanga's
    Avo and tomato rolls
    Cream cheese and cucumber sushi type rolls using mountain bread
    Tuna and salad wraps using mountain bread
    Pasta salad/potato salad/rice salad
    Mini quiche
    Homemade pizza
    Vegie sausage rolls
    Pizza scrolls
    Fruit salad
    Pretzels or plain corn chips (no flavour) and a tub of avocado dip
    Popcorn
    Dried fruit and dry cereal mix
    Yogurt
    Vegie sticks with hommus
    Cubed cheese and cherry tom's
    Pikelets/scones/homebaked treats
    Toasted cheese sanga's
    Sakata crackers/cruskits/salada's

And they always take water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fresh fruit or veg for fruit break - small container

1st break - sandwich, wrap, pasta salad

2nd break - corn cakes, dried fruit, yoghurt

No processed food and no juice. I do bake and put in fruit or savoury muffins a couple of times a week but I don't think it's necessary to give 'treats' on a daily basis. I feel really strongly about my family enjoying and appreciating healthy and tasty food. My children attend a C&K for pre-prep so are used to the no packaged or nutritionally void foods. Sorry to sound a bit precious about it but so many children are affected by numbers and additives in food.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunchboxes

My DD gets:

Fruit time- carrot and or cucumber sticks (the only way I can get vegies into her)

Recess- home made muffin/ baked goods. I bake something on the weekend then freeze in portions. Our freezer is now stocked with a variety of things I can pull out the night before.
    Also a handful of strawberries/sultanas/ grapes
    Sometimes a frozen yoghurt.

Lunch- half a cheese sandwich or maybe a homemade cheesy mite scroll.

Dd eats like a bird *eye roll*

My twins are at kindy and I can be much more adventurous with their lunches. So for lunch instead of a cheese sandwich they get a tuna and salad wrap, or maybe I buy a BBQ chook and they have that and salad sandwich. The other day I sent them with quinoa and chicken salad which was a hit.

I try to mix things up a bit every day, otherwise they get bored. I know I hate eating the same thing every day. I also try to never add pre packaged food as I find it easy enough to do my baking on the weekend and freeze. I also know if I start to add things like store bought muesli bars etc they will come to expect it all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Lunchboxes

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Oh wow I'm going to be the mean mummy I can tell all i got for school lunches was a sandwich, piece of fruit, water, and a snack for recess. That's what I'll send for my two. Some of your kids eat far more lunch than me!
    Same here! If I pack too much half of it comes back. In fact in the newsletter they said a lot of kids were bringing too much. I'm shocked how much some kids are eating, I don't even eat so much and I'm an adult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Lunchboxes

Oh and DS has 3 things in his. Sandwich, a piece of fruit and one other thing that varies (either yoghurt, crackers, sultanas, homemade baked stuff).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Oh wow I'm going to be the mean mummy I can tell all i got for school lunches was a sandwich, piece of fruit, water, and a snack for recess. That's what I'll send for my two. Some of your kids eat far more lunch than me!
    This is exactly what DD1 goes to school with. If I send anymore it comes home (or gets thrown in the bin).

Thanks
    Reviews
    subscribing - some good healthy ideas! I also go the no junk route though. they can have the treats at home when i can enjoy it with them, or if school has something special happening.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunchboxes

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    I work off a system.
    1 sandwhich type food
    1 Popper
    2 fruit
    2 healthy snacks
    1 baked good
    1 fun snack
    1 water bottle

Today it was;
    A slice of Quiche
    1 Apple/Mango Popper
    1 Apple and 1 Pear
    1 boiled egg and 1 fruit stick
    3 freshly baked choc chip cookies
    1 packet of cookies
    1 water bottle

Btw- I usually try not to double up on types of food so the fact that there were 2 types of biscuits was overlooked in the morning rush.

I find this system helps me when packing his lunch. If I notice that he's not eating his fruit for a number of days (we all have those days where we just feel like a junkie day so I don't mind 1 or 2 days) than I'll increase the fruit and decrease other things until he starts eating his fruit again.
    I wish my daughter could have this in her lunch box, the whole school is banned from bringing nuts/peanut butter, eggs in anything quiche or whole eggs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by joalisha View Post
    I wish my daughter could have this in her lunch box, the whole school is banned from bringing nuts/peanut butter, eggs in anything quiche or whole eggs!
    Gosh, I understand banning nuts, but EGGS?? That's really cutting out a very healthy food for kids. My DD would get virtually no protein into her if I couldn't send her to school with a boiled egg or piece of quiche.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast