+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Can my son go to 2 kindergartens? Separated parents.

I would either find a place half way where both parents are happy to travel to each week or not move so far away or skip kindy altogether.

Good luck with your decision when it comes time.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Can my son go to 2 kindergartens? Separated parents.

Wow, settle down. You aren't the only single mum to have made sacrifices!!!

Do you really think it's a good idea to go to 2 schools? Do you understand the each school does something different so your child will not be able to keep up and get confused?!

As someone who moved every 6 months growing up and went to 13 primary schools and 4 high schools, I can give you information and say its a bad idea to go to two schools!!

as someone else pointed our, you can't be enrolled in 2 schools anyway, so why make like harder for your child now? Why not just sit down with dad and work out a new arrangement of how you will both see your child.. Geeze

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not once claimed I'm the only single parent to make sacrifices. Not once. I was simply alarmed by the bluntness of some responses I was met with.
    At this point in time I am not seriously considering anything. I am simply trying to get information.
    Come school time, he will be in one place. Full stop.

I am moving away from the town I live in now, because I have no one here other than my son. I stayed here for the last 12 months to make sure he was safe when in his fathers care. He is. Now I am trying to find a little support for myself, because I have struggled mentally on my own.

We have tossed around the idea of 3 and 4 days a week.. That's all we are doing. Brain storming. DS will always come first, he always has.
    I am very proud of the way we have done things since our separation. We've never been to court or dragged each other thru the mud, we've done this with our heads held high.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Can my son go to 2 kindergartens? Separated parents.

Obviously you will have to discuss arrangements for the year after, so you can decide which school works best. Good luck, I hope you cn work something out.

My son is just starting Kindy this year and there is a lot of emphasis on being settled and starting to make friends, and I really think it would make it hard for him to get settled if he were going to different ones. That said he is continuing at his daycare once a week. But he is very settled there ready... So I dont know? Maybe it could work?

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    Wow, settle down. You aren't the only single mum to have made sacrifices!!!

Do you really think it's a good idea to go to 2 schools? Do you understand the each school does something different so your child will not be able to keep up and get confused?!

As someone who moved every 6 months growing up and went to 13 primary schools and 4 high schools, I can give you information and say its a bad idea to go to two schools!!

as someone else pointed our, you can't be enrolled in 2 schools anyway, so why make like harder for your child now? Why not just sit down with dad and work out a new arrangement of how you will both see your child.. Geeze

I was also moved A LOT during my younger years. And I am actually thankful for it. I have friends to this day all over the place, I handle change very well and I have seen a lot more of the world than a lot of people my age have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can my son go to 2 kindergartens? Separated parents.

As a single mum who may have this issue in the future (dd is only 18months), I feel for you.

Have you considered maybe not moving? Or do you need to move for family support/financial reasons?

If the need to move is not optional, is asking the dad to move an hour from your hometown an option? That way you could find a kindy halfway and your son would only have to travel 30min per day to and from kindy.

It would also solve the issue of which school would he go to the following Year.

I currently work 30min from home and DDs daycare is one street over from my work. She doesn't mind the travel time. I use it to sing songs to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    Obviously you will have to discuss arrangements for the year after, so you can decide which school works best. Good luck, I hope you cn work something out.

My son is just starting Kindy this year and there is a lot of emphasis on being settled and starting to make friends, and I really think it would make it hard for him to get settled if he were going to different ones. That said he is continuing at his daycare once a week. But he is very settled there ready... So I dont know? Maybe it could work?

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub
    Yeah that's it. I completely understand the 'settled' point of view. And it's very important to me, for him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think you could probably do it, but by doing so you'll be taking up two spots and will have to pay for 2 spots. I don't think you'll be able to pay a week here, a week there... it will be like paying for 2 sets of kinder, basically, and taking up a space that another child might like to use.

Perhaps you could use this time to figure out something that isn't 50/50 because when he starts school, you won't be able to do the 2 school thing anyway.

ETA - I was a RAAF kid so I moved lots as a child too. It wasn't moving every other week though. I'd at least have a few months in a place before moving on. I don't think moving house regularly is the same as being sent to live a completely different life every other week.

That's not a crticism of 50/50 care, it's just not really practical when it involves long distances between and your child starts at school.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 13-02-2013 at 09:30.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be looking at finding a kindy that has the days together (so mon/tues/wed) and then having the week split rather than attending 2 places.

The work they do in kindy often gets started 1 week and then finished the next which could lead to him getting frustrated that he was always behind or missing out on finishing.

Like schools, I do believe that you can attend 2...but it is difficult for the child and it will effect their studies as they get older.

I didn't see anyone have a go at you...i understand that you feel sensitive about this, but this is not an information desk where you can get facts and no one will add an opinion. Try the government website for your state if you just want pure fact with no bias.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (13-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    As a single mum who may have this issue in the future (dd is only 18months), I feel for you.

Have you considered maybe not moving? Or do you need to move for family support/financial reasons?

If the need to move is not optional, is asking the dad to move an hour from your hometown an option? That way you could find a kindy halfway and your son would only have to travel 30min per day to and from kindy.

It would also solve the issue of which school would he go to the following Year.

I currently work 30min from home and DDs daycare is one street over from my work. She doesn't mind the travel time. I use it to sing songs to her.
    I have to move. I have no one here for any support. This is his dads home town and they are surrounded by family and friends and I have struggled badly for the last 12 months. Emotionally I am a wreck. And feel very isolated. Hence why I have reacted so touchy to this thread. I'm in a horrible place in my head and feeling pretty weak.
    But you've given me more food for thought. Thank you