+ Reply to Thread
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default DD Scared of dogs.

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice. Our DD has been scared of dogs since she was about 7 months.

We have a big dog and she is super quiet and docile. DD is happy to be around her and occasionally wants to pat her. But if our girl noses DD gently for a pat. Then DD has had enough.

Note: Our dog has never done anything to encourage a fear.

I do have an idea of when the fear started. Someone I know has a very nippy and excited dog that jumped all over, nipped and was very in the face of DD. Since that day DD gets tense the moment she is near a dog, especially smaller dogs.

When there is a dog around but it's not touching her or near her she is fine.

What things could I try to show her that dogs can be lovely company. I'm running out of ideas.

She loves goats, horses, sheep, cattle, snakes, chickens, cats, birds. So would be great of we could get her to be more comfortable around dogs too.

Thanks everyone.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DD Scared of dogs.

Not sure, but our DD was exactly the same (my fault I think - telling her not to pat strange dogs etc). My DH ended up going and getting a small dog - she loves him, but is still very wary (ie: screams and clings to me around other dogs...!?)

You could take her to look at puppies at a pet shop. That way she can, see them, they're behind glass and she'll be 'safe'. She may get more comfortable with them that way.