+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 2 year old suddenly waking for hours in night

My son is 27 months and has recently started waking during the night, not every night, for up to 4 hrs at a time. We are so tired today I have phoned in sick to work, can't do that all the time!

He screams if left on his own, so we lay down next to his cot to sleep but he just sits there refusing to lay down and sleep. Wide awake.

I have tried cuddling him in my bed or on my make shift bed on the floor next to him. He is calm when i do this but wide awake and chatty, playing around, so it gets me nowhere. I have gone in multiple times to lay him down, as he cries when i leave, and even pushed him in his buggy back and forth the other night in desperation!

I ended up leaving him to cry the other night as literally nothing works. I hate doing that but exhausted all my soft options.

I need to pick one option and go with it but don't know what's best. I would gladly stay with him if he'd actually go to sleep, but it doesn't seem to work! Is leaving him to cry my only option? Never really resorted to this before!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Big hugs. My 19month old has just stopped doing this. She has been like this for at least 7months??? I don't even remember anymore. (If you search threads started by me you'll find at least one thread).

A good week for us was her waking 1-2nights a week for 3hours at a time. A bad week was her waking 5nights a week for 3hours every night. She was exactly the same as your DS - just awake and wanting company. There was nothing 'wrong' with her.

some nights she'd start to cry/protest whether we were in there or not, so i would tell her firmly that it was sleeping time, i was tired and i was going to bed &we'd just let her cry/protest. We didn't have to do it very often and she'd go for between 5-45mins. (I really think we were getting in the way of her sleeping). But, after we had done that, the next few nights would be better and she might only wake for 20mins or she'd actually sleep through. The flip side of her not waking through the night was her starting the day at 5.30am - but we stay in with her for as long as we could to help her know that it wasn't getting up time.

Hoping its a short lived phase for you!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 2 year old suddenly waking for hours in night

Thanks babycart. Sounds exactly the same! Even though I don't want to, I think I probably will have to leave him to cry so he gets the message. Tried everything else after all! It's just so awful hearing him so distressed like we've abandoned him.

Would still welcome suggestions from others too if anyone has had a similar situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try a bed instead of the cot? A change like that might break the habit of waking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I just found the old thread I was talking about and the big thing that worked for us is actually pushing back her day sleep.

Is it possible that your DS is sleeping too early/long during the day?? Or is he ready to drop his day sleep??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 2 year old suddenly waking for hours in night

Lincolns mummy- we're actually making the change to a toddler bed this weekend! Have been putting it off as his sleep has been bad but decided to make the plunge. However I fear he will then be even harder to get back to sleep as will keep getting out of bed!

baby cart- He goes to daycare four days a week and only sleeps for about an hour there, whereas at home he'll have two hours from around 1-3pm. Not really noticed if he's better on the days with less sleep, it seems to be a bit random! But will start paying attention as you might be right.

Last edited by Bond Girl; 12-02-2013 at 12:01.