+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help! How do you stay on top of your bills?

I'm hopeless with money, numbers, maths, etc. I'm looking for some tips and suggestions to make sure my bills get paid on time, every time. I'm working hard at it but feel like I'm getting nowhere. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Help! How do you stay on top of your bills?

Make a list of all your bills and the date that they are due each month, then do a spreadsheet That lists all your weekly expenses...

Sorry I'm on my phone and I can't get out what I'm trying to describe lol. My brain won't let me form the words... lol

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Set up direct debits and record on a calendar in clear daily view when and how much is coming out so u know that account has enough money.

Plan your debit dates to be the day after pay day - companies r very flexible if you call & want to arrange a specific date.

Also you can pay your electricity company (and others) a fortnightly amount instead of getting a big quarterly bill if that would suit you better. Just work out the average fortnightly cost of your bill an then you may get a small bill or none each qtr.

Download a free budget template off the Internet.

Thanks
    Reviews

I pay money via bpay to them weekly. I first worked out on average how much they were! So for our rates I get a $0 balance every quarter! I also make the other money go to different accounts when it comes in - eg dh and I both have a spending account each with our weekly allowance, I have a grocery account and a private health account. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews

FYI - I got a gas bill today it's $0.05

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dasher10 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (11-02-2013),Pawzette  (12-02-2013)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I pay a little off all my bills each fortnight. Figure out how much your bills are each month or quarter and then pay enough off each week/fortnight (whenever you get paid) so that by the time the bill arrives you'll have already paid it :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
    I pay money via bpay to them weekly. I first worked out on average how much they were! So for our rates I get a $0 balance every quarter! I also make the other money go to different accounts when it comes in - eg dh and I both have a spending account each with our weekly allowance, I have a grocery account and a private health account. Hope that helps
    We do this, I rarely get a bill that I owe money on. I get paid monthly so I have set up a budget & each month when I get paid it is all accounted for & automatically goes into the different accts I have set up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I use moneysmart.gov.au to work out my budget, then i put away a certain amount each pay for "bills". It will take a few months to get a good float going with it, but now there is ample money in there and i can pay my bills straight away (last one was rates $1200, and i had more than enough to cover it and the phone bill that came in the same time).

We had to live pretty frugal for a few months while putting the 'bills' money away. I worked out from the moneysmart site how much a yearly spending is. Such as phone is $250 per month for 12mths, then divide that by how many fortnightly pays we get in a year, so $108 a pay needed to be put aside each fortnight. Instead of using that money to pay the bill we paid it out of our pay (you could even just pay half from the bills account and half from your wage if you cant afford to put it all aside). I didnt use the 'bills' money for 6mths, enough time to give it a chance to bank up.

Basically, what we do is like paying a little bit off each bill weekly. The reason we put it into a bank account instead of actually paying to the company is that if a bill is more, we have it in the bills account ready to go. For example, if your electricity is 500 instead of 300 you may not have the extra 200. So instead of us trying to find 200 on short notice id use the bills account money to pay the whole bill and the 200 can come from the phone or rates or something that doesnt need to be paid straight away.
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 11-02-2013 at 21:18.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I use moneysmart.gov.au to work out my budget, then i put away a certain amount each pay for "bills". It will take a few months to get a good float going with it, but now there is ample money in there and i can pay my bills straight away (last one was rates $1200, and i had more than enough to cover it and the phone bill that came in the same time).

We had to live pretty frugal for a few months while putting the 'bills' money away. I worked out from the moneysmart site how much a yearly spending is. Such as phone is $250 per month for 12mths, then divide that by how many fortnightly pays we get in a year, so $108 a pay needed to be put aside each fortnight. Instead of using that money to pay the bill we paid it out of our pay (you could even just pay half from the bills account and half from your wage if you cant afford to put it all aside). I didnt use the 'bills' money for 6mths, enough time to give it a chance to bank up.
    That page looks awesome. I book marked it. Thanks for the link.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by newmummy2010 View Post
    Set up direct debits and record on a calendar in clear daily view when and how much is coming out so u know that account has enough money.

Plan your debit dates to be the day after pay day - companies r very flexible if you call & want to arrange a specific date.

Also you can pay your electricity company (and others) a fortnightly amount instead of getting a big quarterly bill if that would suit you better. Just work out the average fortnightly cost of your bill an then you may get a small bill or none each qtr.

Download a free budget template off the Internet.
    I cannot recommend this enough. We lived week to week for years, struggling to keep up with everything. Once I did this, life turned around within a few weeks.