+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Midwives

Hello everyone

I'm wanting to find out the cost of getting a private midwife.
    I've attempted to speak to my doctor about this twice now but have just been told that it's a waste of money, and not to bother, and it's been left it at that.

If I could just get a rough estimate on how much it will cost, and where about's I can try and organise this It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you x

I'm located in Melbourne, Vic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd call a few and talk to them about what they charge, but more importantly what their views are on different aspects of birth. You want to find someone who's opinions and ideas are similar to your own, and who is willing to support you in what you want (within reason, of course).

Sometimes health insurance will cover part of the cost too, depending on how much cover you have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MAMA in kensington have medicare rebates for some services. I saw the midwives there and took one into public hospital with me for my birth. The overall costs depend on how many services you are after. Pregnancy care, birth (homebirth) or support in hospital or postnatal. Go see them and have a talk about your options. They are pretty amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the responses.

Has anybody used midwives naturally from Warrandyte? http://www.midwivesnaturally.com.au/

From what I've read on their reviews they seem to be good but I guess I won't know until I've met up with them. I have a plan for my birth written down, and of course I understand things change etc but to an extent I would really love to be able to follow my plan.

Can you tell It's my first bub

Thanks again ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Midwives

I used Juliana from Mamatoto Midwives and couldn't have been happier!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

MissyJane  (12-02-2013)

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Contact the midwives and they'll be able to tell you financial specifics and put you in touch with former clients if you ask (though unlikely to put you in touch with unhappy ones lol). Hopefully bubhubbers who have birthed with them can post links to their stories (does their website have stories? some midwives and doulas have client birth stories on there).

It's definitely not a waste of money, the support you'll get in preparing, during and after birth will be priceless! There's nothing better than continuity of care and constant companionship from a wise woman during birth. Statistically these two things can make a huge difference to outcomes. I can't believe someone told you all that is a waste of your money, sheesh!

Happy planning! I remember the excitement of the first time. It will be lovely to have a midwife to share that excitement too

8. The Following User Says Thank You to demeter For This Useful Post:

MissyJane  (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally believe all the best midwives are flexible as to when/how you pay their fees as well.
    It is exciting & awesome having that personal support for your first birth. I hired a private middie for mine and I know she helped me in so many ways, mainly the confidence in my body to have a straight forward birth.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

demeter  (12-02-2013),MissyJane  (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Midwives

My midwives were with midwives naturally and I was very happy with them. Feel free to pm me if you'd like to know more. Cost about 4.5k but having them support me was worth it. I would have paid more! Their support, friendship and compassion was worth every cent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Demeter, that's what I thought, I would really love to be able to have that extra support, be able to get to know somebody over the duration of my pregnancy because for me, it's important. My GP is a bit of an old fuddy duddy, and set in the ways of, have the baby, it's not going to be fun whatever way you do it, so why bother spending the $$. Each to their own.

Kw, I have sent them off an email just now, thank you.

Thank you for that, bwm. Which midwives did you have throughout everything for? They have a few profiles up on the site but not sure what I should be ultimately looking for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Greatly depends on the midwife.

My friend just had a home birth, 2 midwives cost her 2 grand.

Im having a private midwife. All antenatal appointments are bulk billed through medicare. There is a once off $500 birthing fee to have her attend the birth at a public hospital. Medicare also bulk bill 6 weeks post birth care.

Wouldnt be without mine. I LOVE having her there ... ALL the time