+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trying to quit smoking whilst pregnant.

Try swappimg smoking with exercising. I smoked for many years and when starting on the IVF route quit just cold turkey last Oct. i still think about smoking and miss it esp when havimg a drink, but it gets better every day. Have a glass of water when you are thinking of smoking. Just stopping is hard, swapping it fir something else (eg a healthy lifestyle-exercising, drinking water) is actually easier. Btw, i have cut back huge amounts on coffee and soft drinks since quitting- now i dont need sweetness to wash off the nicotine. Really liberating feeling! Good luck its really worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews

I gave up smoking when I was pregnant, and it was HARD. But I found that when I changed my brand and milligrams of cigarette (lower mg) I found I didn't like the taste and didn't enjoy it as much. Which made it easier to stop because it tasted like crap and made me feel like crap too!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hypnotherapy may help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Acupuncture?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Your DH needs to stop sabotaging you. I smoked heavily for years and tried to quit many times unsuccesfully. I used the Allen Carr book but DH also quit and was an amazing support. I still miss it but it's been 8 years now.

You can do it!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

lucymoo  (13-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with misskittyfantastico I quit using the Alan Carr Easy Way to quit smoking book but my husband did it with me which was a great support. We quit in Nov 2010 and I haven't had a smoke since. I quit then because I didn't want to have to quit when I was ttc. Your hubby needs to get on board and quit too. You will both feel better and save soooo much money that you can spend on your family. The quit for you quit or 2 program looks good too. That's my opinion no judgement on you though. I was a 20 a day smoker for 10 years so I know how hard it is to quit. Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Trying to quit smoking whilst pregnant.

you are doing really well, it's so hard to quit and you should be proud of yourself for cutting down so much. I was quite a heavy smoker and quit in 2003 so I know how hard it is. Just keep trying, that's the main thing. If you really struggle to give up those last two smokes, the morning & evening ones, maybe try smoking half and then stub it out. And if you chuck your dh's packet once or twice I guarantee he will start remembering to hide them. And I agree with PPs, Alan carr's book is fantasic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Take up a hobby, anything. Drawing, crotchet, or even colouring. Actually there is a really great site that sells adult colouring in books like stained glass, try and spend the 5 minutes doing the hobby every time you feel like a cig. It really helped me.
    Your hub really needs to not smoke around you at all, not even in the garden, can you maybe ask him to wait until he is out for the day?

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine had awesome success with hypnosis. She struggled to seek help because of the shame of being pregnant and smoking but she did it and hasn't touched them since. She also learned that when her B vitamins were down she had cravings. So as long as she stays on top of managing her B vitamins, since having hypnosis, she's never looked back There you go, that's the extent of my knowledge on the subject...anecdotal evidence from one friend lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Your DH needs to stop sabotaging you. I smoked heavily for years and tried to quit many times unsuccesfully. I used the Allen Carr book but DH also quit and was an amazing support. I still miss it but it's been 8 years now.

You can do it!!!!
    Does the allen carr book work, i have tried to read it so many times but have never been able to get past 3/4 of the way!