+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    446
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    53
    Reviews
    0

    Default Tell me....is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'?

    I'm on here to answer questions or start threads stating my own opinion/experiences (in a polite way) but noticed others do not.

    I have no problem with anyone on here expressing their opinions on things ... Isn't that what a forum is for

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0

    Default Tell me....is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsugardumplin' View Post

    My point is - it seems then when I express my opinion about something (and my opinion is not popular or others disagree) then I am accused of being all manner of things: high and mighty, arrogant, angry, the opposite of having empathy, `a perfect mother' laced with sarcasm etc.....
    :
    I don't think people are judging your opinion if they say the above to you, it feels personal. I would feel very hurt and flat if my opinion sparked someone to say I'm arrogant or on a high horse just because I feel a certain way about something. I would definitely feel attacked personally.
    An opinion is just that, it's not a fact and if you are stating facts you need to provide the evidence. Just a personal emotion about a topic like 'Im upset with Chrissie' is just your opinion and no one can tell you how you should feel about it ie. 'get over it who cares' because you do care and your allowed to.
    In a discussion you can go back and forth without using any of the above words in your quote. As soon as you do it's no longer a discussion, for me it will end.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    987
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked
    201
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsugardumplin' View Post
    So tell me - is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'? And if not, please explain the difference - because I'm obviously missing something.
    In my opinion *snicker* an opinion is just that, until it is about someone else, then it becomes a judgment.

    You can have the opinion that the weather is too hot and obviously that's not judging anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    In my view an example would be:

    (a) opinion - I don't like smacking and would never smack my children

    (b) judgment - parents who smack their kids are lazy, or cruel.
    Yeah, like that.

    Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post

    It's very apparent to me that I'm part of this club that isn't conforming to the masses. Unfortunately I don't have enough faith that if I ever report an attack much would happen.

    OP you have hit the nail on the head with your post, I don't know how it works either and I'm sick of trying to work it out.

    I made the decision today to take myself off BH. I can't deal with the dynamics on here. I don't understand them. I'm hard enough on myself as a person and mother and I feel that this isn't the sort of environment I should be in and I'm better off seeking help from the people already in my life.

    This is the perfect thread to make this my last post.

    OP I hope you can get a better idea of how things work on here so you can continue to enjoy the forums and they can be of help to you when you need

    Bye all.
    If you report it and it is attacking the person will get an infraction and enough of those they get banned. Reporting does work heck even not reporting it works because the mods here are good at watching for attacks and do act on it.

  5. #25
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Tell me....is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'?

    According to Oxford, judgement is:

    "the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions."

    http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/judgement

    So it's hardly a negative thing; in those terms it becomes something I think we should always strive for.

    However it's usually only possible to make considered decisions, sensible conclusions, when we fully understand a situation. And when it comes to other people, I think it's rare that we actually have enough insight into their situation to make an educated judgement of them.

    Where people often make mistakes is when they form strong opinions without the full understanding required to back them up.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (12-02-2013),beebs  (12-02-2013),Disbride  (11-02-2013),Guest654  (12-02-2013)

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I do feel however, that there is a small subsection on bh that deliberately rile people up and say things against the grain just to get a reaction. And then when people protest they cry foul and throw around " words like "bullies" or "cliques".
    See I don't always agree it's people trying to deliberately rile people up - I used to think that and there are a few posters who do put things out there and fess up to being intentionally provocative - but now I think some people just genuinely disagree with the majority view and aren't afraid to say it even though they get shot down.

    One poster commented recently that religion is one topic where certain views don't seem to be acceptable on BH. I think she was right.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    sweetsugardumplin'  (12-02-2013)

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    See I don't always agree it's people trying to deliberately rile people up - I used to think that and there are a few posters who do put things out there and fess up to being intentionally provocative - but now I think some people just genuinely disagree with the majority view and aren't afraid to say it even though they get shot down.

    One poster commented recently that religion is one topic where certain views don't seem to be acceptable on BH. I think she was right.
    Unfortunetly if you have views or opinions that are not the popular one around here you get labeled a troll. I can see why people get fed up and leave but if they all left then there would not be much discussion other than

    "I think this"

    "agree"
    "agree"
    "agree"

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

    Pawzette  (12-02-2013)

  11. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks
    3,792
    Thanked
    2,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Unfortunetly if you have views or opinions that are not the popular one around here you get labeled a troll. I can see why people get fed up and leave but if they all left then there would not be much discussion other than

    "I think this"

    "agree"
    "agree"
    "agree"
    Thats a good point actually

  12. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

    Default Tell me....is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'?

    I think it's important to understand that in most cases, someone arguing with you on here is not personal. Even if they seem mighty annoyed with you, they're usually just annoyed with your opinion or you misinterpreting theirs or something.

    There are many members on here ill disagree with and debate frequently... But nobody ever takes it personally or cries foul because of it.

    I know that I don't change my response to a thread just because my opinion will be unpopular. I will state it regardless... But when I know it's going to be unpopular I've got to prepare for the fact that I'm going to be quoted and argued with. It's not personal, because the same people will quote and agree with me in other threads on other issues.

    I don't go around agreeing with everyone on here as if we are in a little clique... I just agree with those who I actually do agree with on that particular topic. I'm just fortunate that a lot of long term members seem to have similar views at the moment.

    It changes though. A few years ago it was super left in here... Now it's got a fair bit of balance between left and right compared to then. So really, you can say that bhers are all one way but it really just depends on the regular posters of the moment.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (12-02-2013),beebs  (12-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (11-02-2013)

  14. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So this is how I see it:

    Opinion - I disagree with CIO, it just doesn't feel right for me as a parent and we don't do it.

    Judgment - A parent that uses CIO is lazy and it's tandemount to child abuse.

    Opinion - I believe breast feeding is the best for baby and plan to always strive to bf where possible bc of the numerous advantages.

    Judgement - Bfing is best, but women just don't try hard enough. Sure it's hard but a good mother will always push thru even when it's hard rather than giving up at the first sign of trouble.

  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (12-02-2013),Boobycino  (11-02-2013),CazHazKidz  (12-02-2013),gizmoduckus  (11-02-2013),Pawzette  (12-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (12-02-2013),risfaerie  (12-02-2013),waitinghoping  (12-02-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. The name Van! What's your opinion?
    By Kochy23 in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 21:57
  2. 2nd opinion or not????
    By MARTTC in forum Fertility Treatment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29-04-2012, 16:28
  3. What is your opinion
    By ~Marigold~ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25-03-2012, 22:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Sudocrem / Infacol
Sudocrem® Healing Cream is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash, eczema, abrasions, wounds and minor skin irritations. Infacol Wind Drops are an effective method of treating wind in infants.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!