+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me....is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'?

I have, in the past two weeks posted in and started threads, and my point of view/opinion - to put it mildly has led to somewhat of a character assassination ...okay maybe I'm being a tad dramatic

My point is - it seems then when I express my opinion about something (and my opinion is not popular or others disagree) then I am accused of being all manner of things: high and mighty, arrogant, angry, the opposite of having empathy, `a perfect mother' laced with sarcasm etc.....

I have people telling me how much they hate judgemental mothers, but then go on to judge me (and others in different threads) I have people suggesting I'd get along better with others if I play nicely.....

So tell me - is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'? And if not, please explain the difference - because I'm obviously missing something.

Oh, and can we keep it nice.......kinda over being slammed by those who don't agree with me. I'm just asking a question here

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me....is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'?

I've noticed that a lot lately in the last few weeks that people who have had a different opinion have had people say really mean things towards them, which isn't fair. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion & shouldn't be slammed for having a different one. I also know that it deters a lot of people from posting. Everyone should be able to say their point of view without being called stupid etc. It'd be a boring old world if everyone thought the same

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Rocky27, your point about it happening a lot lately confirms my thoughts - Bubhub never used to be like this.

Meaning, people were free to have a different point of view without being attacked - but now it gets very personal and often results in threads being closed.

And I agree, healthy debate is a part of life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsugardumplin' View Post
    I have, in the past two weeks posted in and started threads, and my point of view/opinion - to put it mildly has led to somewhat of a character assassination ...okay maybe I'm being a tad dramatic

My point is - it seems then when I express my opinion about something (and my opinion is not popular or others disagree) then I am accused of being all manner of things: high and mighty, arrogant, angry, the opposite of having empathy, `a perfect mother' laced with sarcasm etc.....

I have people telling me how much they hate judgemental mothers, but then go on to judge me (and others in different threads) I have people suggesting I'd get along better with others if I play nicely.....

So tell me - is forming an opinion and expressing that opinion - the same as `judging'? And if not, please explain the difference - because I'm obviously missing something.

Oh, and can we keep it nice.......kinda over being slammed by those who don't agree with me. I'm just asking a question here
    You will get use to it, there is a little club of us here that wont conform to the masses and share out opinion when its not the popular one. Stay strong and stick to your opinions and morals it takes a very strong person to stick to their beliefs and not bed to pressure to change your mind. Just ignore the attacks or report them and they will be punished

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    You will get use to it, there is a little club of us here that wont conform to the masses and share out opinion when its not the popular one. Stay strong and stick to your opinions and morals it takes a very strong person to stick to their beliefs and not bed to pressure to change your mind. Just ignore the attacks or report them and they will be punished
    Okay.....thanks for the heads up. I've been a member for years - but don't spend a lot of time on line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure what your specific threads where but I will give you some examples of judgement vs opinion of things I have read on here -

"she was dressed like a hooker/street walker/other colourful things - that is degrading and judgemental. Instead a person can say "it's not my style/ I don't feel comfortable in x type of clothing/ I don't feel it was appropriate given the situation etc.

Another example is when people don't agree with your parenting style or choices in life. Instead of being defensive or rude someone can say "I don't agree with you because of reasons a xyz" and leave it at that or debate the subject in a respectful manner.

The key is to keep an open mind and not act like you are high and mighty.
    Generally speaking your values and opinions are your own there is no right or wrong obviously serious issues like abuse etc aside.

So yes there is a difference between being judgemental and having an opinion an opinion can be delivered in a way that doesn't put another person down.

But in saying all that I myself have let it rip on here to a few members so I'm far from perfect. I guess all we can do is try to check ourselves and what we are writing.

There are members on here who continue to be very close minded and rude I generally put it down to the feelings they have towards themselves/their choices/or their issues and don't take things personally.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-02-2013),Bexta  (12-02-2013),Boobycino  (11-02-2013),butterfly2013  (11-02-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (11-02-2013),mousky  (12-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I agree, but I also think it is quite specific to online forums rather than life in general. I can't really imagine someone saying it to your face, because in real life you can disagree with someone as part of a dialogue or a discussion rather than just each person making a point 'tit-for-tat'.

I also hate the 'you don't agree with me because you don't understand' argument. I might totally understand your point of view, but still disagree with it (and yet still not be a judgmental person!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

An opinion is a viewpoint, based on own experiences and ideas.
    A judgement is more personal and making someone wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I try to stay out of messy topics because I know I'm set in my ways with very solid opinions on certain topics which will no doubt offend others because Of how passionate I'am about my opinions.

I do understand what you are saying and you know what... I think it's just woman.. It's adults high school To put it simply. Majority Of people don't know how to have a healthy debate especially on forums and the debate usually leads to a forceful attempt To either change someone's view or if that's beyond obtainable it's a 'mean girls posse' where women band with the 'most main****** opinion' to avoid being singled out.

I honestly don't think it will ever change you either have to be rock solid with emotions, or stay far away from topics that will envoke an array of screaming woman.

*shields self*

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

mousky  (12-02-2013),sweetsugardumplin'  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You can have an opinion that I disagree with, and I may tell you that I disagree and why.

Example: you say that you are (not your exact words, I'm making it up to demonstrate) disgusted with Chrissie swan for smoking while UTD.

Now, say I don't feel the same as you, I feel sorry for her and I feel like its not my place to be disgusted. This in turn leads to my forming an opinion about your opinion, so I might say geez, get off your high horse, who do you think you are, blah blah blah...

That doesn't mean I think you are a bad person or that I'm judging you, it just means we have different opinions.

BUT- you could express an opinion that I would judge you on. For example, if you expressed a racist or homophobic opinion, I would definitely call you on it, and remember it