+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did you cope?

Hi all

Due to financial reasons it looks like I'll have to return to work
    when my little man is only 4 months old or thereabouts I'm just hoping to hear positive stories from anyone that has gone back that soon and found it ok. My eheart breaks at the thought of it but we can't end up destitute either!! It will only be 2 days a week initially I'm just frightened I'll resent work and being there... I hope this doesn't sound whingey coz I genuinely had no issues with goin back to work but once I had my Ben fell terribly head over heals in love!!!

Tia!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I haven't returned yet but am trying to work out what I'm doing too. Financially I need to go back two days a week but can eat up our savings to extend it a bit past my parental leave.

I'm really torn. I like work and I miss it and the adult interactions and being in control, but then I also don't want to miss out on anything with DS as he changes so much already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Big hugs to you....I went back to work (my choice) when DS was 11 months. So not as early as 4 months but it was still hard.

Try to look at it in a positive light - that time away from your little one will give you more patience, more love and a better appreciation of how beautiful they are.

I consider my work days...my refueling time. I get to have a little me time and when I get home my attention is fully on my little one and what he misses out on with time, I make up for with quality.

Hope that helps!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hello! I had to return to work when my DD was 4.5 months as well, four days a week. It was the hardest thing I've had to do so far. I cried every day for the first week. I was also expressing at lunchtime which didn't help my emotional state, lol. We all got over it though and life went on. You will be fine and your son will be too, he won't remember anything and it will be harder on you than him
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my 1st, I thought I "HAD" to return to work when he was 4 months old too. 4 months came, and I coudln't do it, so I took another 3 months off unpaid. It was tough, but we managed. No way could I have gone back when I'd planned.

Thanks
    Reviews

I went back 3 days when DD was 5 months.
    I'll be doing it again when this baby (I'm pregnant again) is the same age.
    I didn't want to, but we needed the money.
    To be honest, it wasn't that bad
    I don't mind working.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm going back 3 days a week when my bub is 5 months old and I'm dreading it but we need the money - I've always been the breadwinner in our family

Thanks
    Reviews

I went back 3 days a week when DS (my first) was 4.5 months. He had been emergency weaned onto formula at 3 months, so didn't have the worries about expressing etc.
    I cried a lot the first week too! But I had spent a lot of time visiting preschool before and watching the staff with other kids (even though none were as young as him), which helped me feel better about it. Honestly, I was exhausted for a while too (I work in a very full-on job), but adjusted soon enough.
    At times I resented having to work, but being single I wanted to try to set us both up comfortably.
    On the other hand, I enjoyed the social interaction, being able to chat to people outside my family (I don't have many friends), and having something else to think about. I also found my coworkers and boss to be a great support network, just people who were a little 'removed' from my situation to chat to about DS, life, and things other than DS (seeing as I found that's all I ever talked about with family and friends..!)
    DS still goes to the same child care centre (at almost 3.5) and I love how the staff are almost part of our extended family - they've helped support me and DS through lots of tough times (including my dad suddenly passing away).
    Hope you find it to be as positive as I did!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you one and all for your responses! It's really encouraging to know that it can be ok and that it's probably going to be normal for an adjustment time to happen but I think I'm starting to see the brighter side like many of you have pointed out having adult time and that appreciation of my time with Ben! Ive looked at things and think I can manage with just 6 hour shifts so it wouldn't be too long away from him!!

Its so good to have this thread and feel like your not alone in being a working mum!! Pretty much all my girlfriends Are sahm so don't really understand things for when your working!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I went back to work when DS was 4 months but it was only 2-3 casual night shifts on the weekend so DH looked after DS. I felt great earning my own money again and getting a little bit of time away from the house.