+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bottles at room temperature

I need a little advise on the correct way to prepare my newborns bottles. At the moment I feel like I may be overly cautious and creating more work for me and my husband than is necessary. So this is what I do currently:

After washing the bottles in hot soapy water, I sterilize the bottles in a steam sterilizer and pop them in the fridge which I was told is necessary in order to keep them sterile. I then boil a jug of water and allow it to cool for around 2 hours. I then get the bottles from the fridge and pour the correct mls of water into each bottle and pop them back in the fridge ready to have formula added when the time comes to feed. When it's feed time, I get one of the refrigerated bottles, add the formula to it, and put in the bottle warmer.

The reason I'm beginning to think this is overkill is because when I'm out and about, I take the bottle from the fridge and pop it in my baby bag (which eventually becomes room temp by feed time) and the formula in a separate container and mix them together when it's time to eat and my baby has it unwarmed. Which begs the question - If it's ok to have the bottle out of the fridge when out and about (which my maternal nurse said it was) I'm wondering if instead of all the refrigeration and rewarming when at home, if I can just leave all the bottles with the cooled boiled water in them out on the bench at room temp and simply add formula when it's feed time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews

That seems like alot of Hassle! What I did was wash in hot soapy water and sterilize the bottles. I'd boil water and put some in a jug and let it cool, i also put some of the hot boiled water in a flask so it remains hot. When it was time to make the bottle, I'd just add half hot half cool boiled water or until it was the right temp and add the formula. I found this method was the quickest way to make up a bottle. I asked my midwife and she said it was fine to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subscribing as I am looking at formula feeding my baby in a few weeks and need some tips on the best way to do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never bothered with sterilising bottles but that's personal choice. I also just poured boiled water into bottles and allowed it to cool on the counter (didn't bother with the fridge). Then add formula as needed. I would only heat on cold days as my bubs wasn't picky on temp. Now that it's so hot I put the bottles in the fridge and give them to him cold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's a lot of differing advice out there and, ultimately, you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

I used to make up big flasks of formula in the morning, and keep them in the fridge for no longer than 24hrs. I would decant them in to bottles throughout the day as needed. If I was out then yes, they'd be in the baby bag, and would sometimes be room temperature.

I didn't sterilise at all. I washed bottles in the dishwasher, and otherwise used hot and soapy water (e.g., if on holiday and no access to dishwasher).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make my bottles up in the morning and put them in the fridge. Its perfectly safe to do so for 24 hours (4hours at room temp). I sterilised my bottles until 3 months but its unnecessary - they don't sterilise them in hospital. They just recommend hot soapy water. I do, however, use boiled water. To heat them up I used to just put them in a jug of hot (boiling) water for 5 minutes Now she's a bit older i don't bother. She just has them from the fridge or at room temp.
    Last edited by pilbarablossom; 11-02-2013 at 18:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

I boil the kettle as I start my washing, then by the time I'm done it's cooled down enough.

I fill the bottles up about 60/40 (it's a bit experimental, depends on how cold your fridge is etc). So if I'm making a 120ml bottle I'll pull out a bottle with 80ml of cooled water, boil the kettle and pour in 40ml and it's usually the perfect temp and ready to go. Probably quicker than a bottle warner. My DS won't take a room temp bottle, he has to have it warm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With dd1 I washed the bottles, rinsed the suds off, sterilised, poured the correct amount of boiling water in and put the formula in those Tomee Tippee formula storage containers that sit in the bottle, made sure the lids were on and they sat on the bench all day.
    Dd seemed to enjoy it at room temp better anyway so it worked out well:-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I sterilised the bottles for my first, second/third babies, by the time the 4th came the hospital advice was not to sterilise, so I didn't in the very beginning I boiled water, but that didn't last long, I then swapped to tap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I never sterilised either. I just wash in hot soapy water, rinse and leave them to dry in the rack.

I have a sealed jug with cooled boiled water (fresh every day) that I fill to 150mls when I make a bottle and then add 50mls of boiling water (I give my DD 20mls more water as otherwise she gets constipated) to make it the right temp. Add in the scoops of formula, shake and feed.

If I go out I have a little thermos and take boiling water to top up the bottle, and a little container for the formula.