+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mastitis?

my baby is 6 weeks old and he has just pased what i beieve was a HUGE growth spurt. I reall struggled with this growth spurt. I was just exhausted from the frequent hourly/45min feeds and minimal sleep. He was so hard to settle and didnt seem satisfied for a good 4 days. Anyways, we got thru it, just.
    After he had calmed down and all of a sudden stopped feeding 24/7 and omg....slept! i started feeling really run down. My neck hurt, my back ached and i had a massive headache. I took 2 panadol that night and had an early night as i ws just so sore. When ds woke for a feed at midnight, i felt worse, my whole body ached and my let down was stinging on one side. I took 2 more panadol after he'd finished the feed.
    I woke up in the morning with hot and cold sweats, shivering and my bones ached - basically felt like i had the flu with a migraine added. It took me 6 codine tablets to lift my head. DH stayed home to care for dd. I had to lay down and feed ds. Now my boob was sore the one that had the sore let down. So i made him feed off it more often than the other side. I couldnt feel any lumps tho so it kinda baffled me as i thought i may be getting mastitis cos of the dramatic change in ds's feeds lately.
    I was sick for 24hrs, the next day i still had the headache and my boob hurt more. Both were really hot but i still couldnt feel a lump (for a blocked duct?) Then dh pointed out that i had a red patch under my sore boob (the one that had sore letdown) it looked like sunburn it was fire hot! and i freaked out thinking ive got mastitis. I was ready to book into docs following morn.
    But after feeding ds from that side, pumping afterwards, massaging and warm showers the redness and all my symptoms went away that day and now i am 100% better no boob tenderness at all.
    So what the heck was it? hrmm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mastitis?

Sounds like when i had mastitis. So you have no breast pain or fever now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Oh that must have been awful, might have been a number of things combined, change in feeding, rundown etc Maybe it was in insect bite?. Probably wouldnt hurt to go and get checked anyway just in case? That way if it happens again you might have an idea of what it was/is.

Glad to read you are feeling better tho!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mastitis by the sounds of it i would still pay a visit to the Drs just to be sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddie View Post
    Sounds like when i had mastitis. So you have no breast pain or fever now?
    absolutely nothing, im back exercising and all now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mastitis?

Sounds like your body just fought off the infection without the need of antibiotics. Might be an idea to still be checked out by a gp though