+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Quit smoking

Ok so today is the day I quit smoking. I have done it in the past but need little tips along the way.
    Got any tips for helping with cravings?
    What worked for you?
    Do you need moral support?
    Does anyone need to vent to help them not need to smoke?
    Do you want to share your smoking\ quitting journey?
    I have been smoking for well over 8 years and its time I give up while im young enough for me and for my son. My partner also quitting but he is the one that will bum smokes of work mates or borrow money to get smokes. We both need to quit before something happens or something bad makes us quit.
    I want to quit without patches, mist, cutting back. Im at breaking point and just want it gone. Is it a good idea? To quit cold turkey?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Quit smoking

Avoid hanging out with smokers- it's too easy to just have one.
    Avoid your usual triggers like for me, I stopped having a up of tea as soon as I got up as I naturally wanted a smoke to accompany it.
    Substitute the need to smoke with a big glass of cold water.
    Distract yourself, go to a movie, or for a swim-fill up time with non smoking activity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Quit smoking

Oh and good luck!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Quit smoking

Good luck. I tried several times to go cold turkey, and for me it was impossible. The mood swings were hard to manage, and I can't even imagine trying to do it with a young child or a partner quitting too. Although I was much younger then and might possibly handle it better now! I used patches, and only needed two or three weeks on them before I felt comfortable to quit on my own.

I would give up drinking as well for the first couple of months, or at least drinking round smokers. Mixing up your routines might help - maybe you can hop into the shower straight after tea instead of lighting up, or take your little one for a walk in the morning when it would be smoking time.

Two things that really help me on a daily basis:

1. There are two types of people in the world - smokers and non-smokers. You have quit smoking and, therefore, are a non-smoker. You don't need a cigarette because you're a non-smoker! As soon as you get into calling yourself a 'not really' or 'sometimes' smoker, it's much easier to fall back into old habits.

2. Cravings only last 5 minutes. Watch the time pass on a stopwatch if you have to! They pass - don't give them your energy. Physical cravings disappear after I think it's 7 days. It will be a looooooong seven days!

Honestly, for me, not smoking is a daily battle, and I quit eight years ago (and had a little relapse a couple of years ago), but I believe if I could do it, then anyone can.

Good luck, and I'll be thinking of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Quit smoking

The first time I gave up I had acupuncture, it really helped with the cravings.

The second time was when I was in hospital for a week, I just couldn't get out of bed to smoke.

Quitting is really hard. I agree with the others, stop doing all the things you associate with smoking like drinking tea, coffee, alcohol at least while you are going through the quitting phase.

I haven't smoked for nearly 7 years. If I can do it you can too

Good luck !

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you both for your advice and tips to take my mind off it Im glad I picked today to quit cause my ds is in a good mood so no tantrums to deal with lol.
    I learnt that if I need a smoke to sit in a quiet room and breathe deep for a couple mins just like if I was smoking and thats helping a fair bit. Its been 9 hours since my last smoke. I wonder if ill be better or angrier with my posts later lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Youngish87 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Quit smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Avoid hanging out with smokers- it's too easy to just have one.
    Avoid your usual triggers like for me, I stopped having a up of tea as soon as I got up as I naturally wanted a smoke to accompany it.
    Substitute the need to smoke with a big glass of cold water.
    Distract yourself, go to a movie, or for a swim-fill up time with non smoking activity.
    I agree with this. My mum hasn't had a smoke in 10 years she gave up her (group settings) because she knew a glass of wind led to a cigarette, same with coffee etc...

Good luck you can do this

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Quit smoking

Also don't be afraid to do hypnotherapy etc!

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah im not drinking alcohol for atleast a month cause thats my biggest trigger also smoking after a meal.
    I have found apps on anroid and going to check them out. Some are hypnotherapy and some just give the facts and count how many I havent smoked and how much money I have saved

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Quit smoking

I chewed gum and the thinking that I'm a non smoker helped a lot, I also went for a walk when I craved one or was stressed about it. That helped cause it took my mind off it. Good luck, you CAN do it !!