+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Age gap 8+ years

Anyone else have an age gap of 8yrs between their children?
    My son is 8 and I'm newly preg with a surprise 2nd child. He seems excited about it, having been a solo child to a solo mother all this time, but I worry he will be too interested in other things, such as girls, soon enough, rather then think about connecting and growing with his sibling.

I have older siblings of 8+ years and we didn't really grow up together and today we don't really connect either. I worry this will happen with my kiddos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Age gap 8+ years

I was 10 when my little brother was born and we get on just as well if not better then I do with my sister who is only 4 years older then me.

I think it depends more on the personality of your kids.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopadayz View Post
    My son is 8 and I'm newly preg with a surprise 2nd child. He seems excited about it, having been a solo child to a solo mother all this time, but I worry he will be too interested in other things, such as girls, soon enough, rather then think about connecting and growing with his sibling.

I have older siblings of 8+ years and we didn't really grow up together and today we don't really connect either. I worry this will happen with my kiddos

Unfortunately it will most likely be the case. It's usually better if the older child is a girl but boys tend not to be that interested. My brother is 10 years older than me and I refer to myself as an only child as I basically was one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Age gap 8+ years

Quote Originally Posted by Oopadayz View Post

There is 8, 10 and 12 years between me and my siblings and as i was growing up I definitely felt like the older three were siblings and I belonged to another family. As we've gotten older, the age difference has become less significant and now the age difference means nothing, they used to say "when you're older you'll understand where I'm coming from" but that is never said anymore and I feel like an equal to them.

So as kids they might not be very close (I actually liked that though coz I got mum all to myself without having to battle with other young kids for attention), but as adults you'll probably find the age difference doesn't matter at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's a 5 year gap between my 2 (my eldest is a boy) and yes, they have different needs and that is a real issue at times, but most of the time it's fine. Examples of issues include holidays where the older child wants to go to particular places, do particular things that the little one can't do or isn't interested in. So, a lot of the time they will do things separately. But, the big thing is you'll have plenty of capable help at home. I was talking to a woman the other day who has one sibling - a much older sister and she said it was great cause her sister was her baby sitter a lot and so it was so easy for her parents to go out and so relaxing for the 2 girls not to have to bother with other baby sitters/etc.

And as previously mentioned once they are both adults it's going to be largely irrelevant.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Age gap 8+ years

OP I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm 32+5 with bub number 3 (different dad to 1&2). My dd will be 10 when she is born and my ds will be nearly 7. While my kids seem really excited I'm a bit worried that the novelty will ware off.

We are planning on having a number 4 with a smallish age gap from number 3.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my brother is 9 years younger than me, and it was only a novelty for the first month or so for me. I was interested in other things.

then when i was 16-20 he was just plain annoying to me. (as mean as it sounds.)
    as an adult now, (i'm 31) we are good mates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So it is a good chance it will be as I feared.

Any advice then on how to make sure my son who is also from another father and that father is no where to be found, still feels like family and how we can include him and so on so forth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There will be a 10 year gap between this bub and my last. My 1st 2 are 17 months apart. This bub has a different father though, my girls are pretty excited. He has 2 girls also his youngest is 9 she is excited his older girl who is almost 12 I think isn't very impressed about it, she says she is but she makes alot of little remarks here and there.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was 12 when I had DD last year. He is absolutely besotted with her. He often "hangs out" with her, lol (ie:- he will put on her cartoons and play with her in her bouncer while I do housework etc.. he offers! )
    He was not really concerned either way when I was pregnant, but the moment he laid eyes on her he was just overwhelmed with love for her, it's awesome seeing the bond that has formed between them already.