+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice please - unsettled 6 week old

DS is 6 weeks and is on losec for silent reflux. He is now being FF after not wanting to BF and screaming at the breast. He has been feeding fine with the formula but has gotten constipated. After reading several websites I have given him 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar dissolved in 30ml warm water yesterday. I did this before 2 feeds to help the constipation. Since this he seems in pain and won't drink a full bottle, I struggle for him to drink 50ml at each feed. He is hungry but pulls away squirming and crying. He has pooped a few times and this is getting better after adding extra water to his bottles so don't think this is the problem as he isn't straining when feeding. His weight gain and size are fine for his age.

Has anyone else had these problems after trying the brown sugar? I have just googled and found a website stating never give sugar water to a baby as it aggravated tummy problems. I guess it may take time to get better, but I hate to see him so unsettled. Seems happy enough when not drinking a bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

What formula is he on ? You may need to change that .

Thanks
    Reviews

Have tried Heinz Nurture, Novolac Reflux and Aptamil HA. All this started when he had the sugar drink. He's on the second tin of the Novolac so I think it is ok, problem only surfaced yesterday. Guess I have to wait it out to see if it starts to improve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

What form of Losec is he on? My DS started off on the tablet form that we dissolved ourselves, but then moved onto a liquid version. The liquid Losec has an agent in it called xanthym (spp?) gum -- and this can cause major constipation & tummy aches.

It did with our DS -- as soon as we moved him back onto the tablet Losec he was fine again...

Thanks
    Reviews

It sounds like his reflux might be caused by cows milk protein intolerance.

The thickened formulas can often make it worse and cause constipation.

I would be trying a soy milk based formula and see if there is any change. Often babies that are allergic to cows milk protein also have an issue with soy.

I was lucky enough that my DD was ok with soy formula. That too can cause constipation but you can get coloxyl drops for babies that you can add into the bottle. I'm unsure what age you can start using that though as DD was 5 months old before we switched to soy.

If soy is an issue too, you should go to your GP to get a referral to a paed as you can get prescription formulas to use as a last resort (and to ensure CMPI is in fact the issue)

Good luck! Silent reflux really is evil!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try Coloxyl drops from the chemists. they are for infant constipation. works a treat.

Thanks
    Reviews

Has this started after increasing amount of formula bottles? My DD was fine with the occasional formula bottle but when we increased to more than 2 she did exactly what u have described. Ended up changing formula and she was fine again. Also could be a wonder week. My DS is 7 weeks today and was awful between 5 and 6 weeks. He has calmed down now

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks all for your replies. He is on the Losec solution and as his weight is increasing rapidly think the dose may need to be adjusted. Going to contact the peadiatrician tomorrow.

He has been a little happier today and feeding better, I have coloxyl for his constipation which works and also prune juice watered down.

Fingers crossed he is getting better.