+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying & Adding to your family - possible?

Just after some peoples experiences here, have you managed to study full-time aswell as expand your family? We have 3 kids and i'm hoping for 1 more over the next year. I was planning to start openuniversity at the beginning of next year, full-time they said it will be 12 hours of study per week, that doesn't sound alot but it has been a long time since i've studied so I could be shocked by the sudden pressure.
    Am I way over my head here? should I wait untill my youngest is abit older before starting?
    I'm wanting to become a Neonatal Nurse so I have quite a few years of study ahead of me before i'm qualified and I'd like to be qualified for when my youngest was in school so I could go to work and help hubby provide for the family, waiting untill youngest is older might push that back by a few years.
    Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Could you maybe just start with one unit the first study period to ease yourself into it and then the study periods when when bub is due and the first one after drop back down to one unit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's an idea, could always start off part-time and increase to full-time if i feel I can cope with it, thanks for that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We have done it, both DH and I.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just started my 3rd year of my 4 year course. I will be full time this year (as I was last year, 1st year I did part time). We are also currently ttc. I think it definitely can be done, but takes a lot of determination and drive. Also, 4 kids is a lot. I only have 1 and it can be a struggle. So worth it though

I would definitely recommend starting off part-time and seeing what you can handle from there.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 4 children For me i struggle with broken sleep, so i found having a newborn challenging ( There was a 10 year gap between DD3 and DD4) so i took a semester off while i got into the swing of things.

I agree with others, see how you feel at the time, you can always drop units and as long as you do it by census date there is no cost by dropping units.

Also most uni's are flexible, so you can drop to part time if needed, take semesters off etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

I started full time study with 4 children (my youngest was 2). I managed, but had an extremely supportive husband who was able to take time off work and take over the stay-at-home role for our children. It was hard, but if it's something you're passionate about it's easy to stick with it!

I ended up going part time last year because I had another baby, honestly it was very tough studying and being pregnant/having a newborn (I began 2nd semester when DS was 4 weeks old). I only just made it through the year.

I'm about to begin full time again with 5 children (youngest is 7 months) ... We'll see if I still have my sanity in a few months.

Give it a go! You can always defer/drop some units if it's too much all at once

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your help, I think I might start off part-time and see how I go, it'll give me something to focus on and if I fall pregnant before then or soon after starting and feel I can't cope I can defer to a later date.
    Thanks again everybody you have given me a good plan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I studied last year part time with 3 children. I was HORRENDOUSLY sick when I fell pregnant with #4 in semester 2 and it was extremely hard and affected my marks.
    I'm due in 7 weeks and was originally going to do one unit but have decided to have the whole year off with my last newborn.
    I'll resume part time next year with the three younger in care.
    I love my course and didn't want it to become a chore or unenjoyable, nor did I want my kids to suffer because J was stretching myself to far with a new baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup doable. I went to college with 2 small children and pregnant, 6 hours on campus and worked its doable. I then wanted another degree so I did online school and worked with 3 children a SS and pregnant. I believe you can do whatever you want to do and where there is a will there is away. The second year I have 5 kids and studied and worked so yes its doable. Good luck