+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Labour's flexible work arrangements and Julie Bishop's 'Women can't have it all'

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Not if you make it work and show them how good it is for their business. The only way to change their mind is to show them.

I have known a number of senior law firm partners who were dead-set against part time employees, were "forced" to allow it and were pleasantly surprised and openly admitted that they were wrong and that they could now see how well it could work.
    I'm returning to the law firm world next month on a part time basis with non-standard start and finish times so will see how that goes!

I had the same experience when I worked there before. Many partners were dead against it but were forced to admit it worked! I reckon some of them were just jealous they couldn't do it in their day!!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Labour's flexible work arrangements and Julie Bishop's 'Women can't have it all'

I think that job share is fabulous as well. It allows more people to work for the same number of working hours a week plus you only have your kids in care 2-3 days a week so as to actually make money vs spend it all on CC.

My work has many many part time workers - more than full time. I recently went back to work post maternity leave and share my workspace with another mum. I work mon/tues and sat (1/2 day) and every second fri. She works wed/thurs and sun (1/2 day) and the alt fri.

When she takes leave - i have the option of increasing my hours for that week(s). if I need to swap days - we work it out between us. Ifbeother of us cant work that day - its offered to the other. But it's shift work - many 6-6.30am starts and daycare drop offs are often tricky but do able.

Benefit to the employer is that he has qualified staff at work 7 days a week with no space being underutilized.

A PP suggested jobs like night fill, bar tending etc. Quite frankly those are unskilled and I didn't work my butt off at uni to stack shelves. I work in a highly paid niche field with my PT wage equivalent to some ppl FT wage.