+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Labour's flexible work arrangements and Julie Bishop's 'Women can't have it all'

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...5-122657452253

I think the next election is shaping up to be all about the family unit.....

I'd say Julie Bishops words are off the back of Julia Gillard coming out and saying the Labour Party believe in more flexible work arrangements for mothers returning to work.

I think given today's standards where many private employers don't offer flexible working arrangements for mothers returning to work (or any of their employers for that reason), Julie Bishop is right, however if more employers were more flexible with their work arrangements, there's no reason why women can't 'have it all'.

I know not all women want both a family and a career, some are happy with just one or the other, but for those who want both, she should be able to.

Having said that, I'm not so sure it's the governments responsibility to force flexible work arrangements upon employers. Surely it could mean the end of some small businesses.

In addition, do the flexible work arrangements only apply to mothers? What about fathers? What about those without kids, who want more time to do the things they love, study or do volunteer work etc etc?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Labour's flexible work arrangements and Julie Bishop's 'Women can't have it all'

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Meanwhile I need to get back to work. I am building an Abbott proof fence
    Haha love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If a man can have children and a career, I don't see why women can't. It frustrates the absolute **** out of me that we have clung onto the 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday default of a professional career. I also hate the default attitude that females must be the primary caregiver, and work/career is "additional" to that. While males primarily have work/career and any child care and household duties are "additional" to that.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (10-02-2013),DailyDiversion  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    If a man can have children and a career, I don't see why women can't. It frustrates the absolute **** out of me that we have clung onto the 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday default of a professional career. I also hate the default attitude that females must be the primary caregiver, and work/career is "additional" to that. While males primarily have work/career and any child care and household duties are "additional" to that.
    I guess what you're saying is men can't have it all either, which can also be the case really.

How does it work in your house? Are you the primary income worker and your hubby stays home?

Regardless I do agree that it shouldn't have to be the way, but it does suit most families and it suits mine as I'm quite disenchanted with my career and my DH earns more so it makes sense for us.

But then I also have the benefit of working for an extremely large organization and I get to choose my days and hours when I return to work, so in a way I can have it all. But I purposely sought work in this organisation for the half year maternity pay and guaranteed flexible work arrangements at the same rate of pay on return.

I think everyone should have flexible working hours regardless of who they are though as I think work life balance is important for everyone, male or female, with kids or sans kids.

Thanks
    Reviews

I absolutely agree with Shelle that we need to abandon this ridiculous 9-5 business. It's totally artificial.

The amount of talent and potential being squandered because we make it impossible for women is shocking.

I should also point out I run a business from bed with a laptop and a newborn. I drive an old car and spend money on cleaners. Think outside the box.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Benji  (10-02-2013),Maybelline  (10-02-2013),shelle65  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The link doesn't work and I really wanted to read it because I heard something on the news today.

Anyway, I think there are businesses and companies that can offer flexible hours but choose not to. In my line of work I could quite easily do hours at home as well as in the office, I could go in at 9:30 finish at 3:00 and do 2 hours at night or weekends at home. But for some reason I could never find that. And there are lots of office jobs where you can take work home. It's like some bosses want to see you sitting there.
    If we had better internet we could also be set up and work through our own office and do video conferencing, share screens and basically make it virtual. Retails businesses can offer split shifts or if you need more employers allow one of those shifts to be in schoolhours.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

wiggleit  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post

I should also point out I run a business from bed with a laptop and a newborn. I drive an old car and spend money on cleaners. Think outside the box.
    Exactly!

Until workplaces do this more, it's up to everyone to be creative with what they do for work. I'm not sure what your business is or if you have a paper qualification, but everyone regardless of qualifications can find flexible work if they try hard enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I am of the view that women can't have it all at the same time. I have a good career and was on the way up when I took maternity leave to have my son. I am now back at work part time and I do feel as though I've missed my opportunity to go further as it's now a very different environment (no money, no promotions). But it was my choice to start a family when I did and I know that down the track, when my children are older, I will be able to spend more time focusing on my career, and I'll get there, eventually.

Has having a child affected my DH's career at all? No - he is progressing and doing really well. But he misses out in other ways - a couple of days a week he leaves for work before DS is up and is home after DS is in bed. And we have made the decision together that during this time, when I am taking time out to care for our family, I will support DH so he can progress in his career.

We are also lucky that DH is able to work a flexible week - four long days, so that in two weeks time I will be able to pick up an extra day at work and he will have a day at home with DS.

I see the benefits and disadvantages to making it law that employers must provide parents with part time work (if they want it) after returning from leave. I wonder how small businesses will cope. But maybe this will help change things in a good way - as PPs have said, more can be done to be flexible than currently is being done. And reading an article in the paper today about it - it applies to both mothers and fathers, which I think is wonderful.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-02-2013),Mod-pegasus  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Last edited by CuddlesAwait; 10-02-2013 at 12:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Um a lot of businesses currently have flexible arrangements, and there are ALOT of jobs that are not in core business hours. i think its the mothers / families that also need to have some flexibility. If dad works days then mum can work nights / weekends.
    When bub comes and I return to work DH and I will be working random shifts, we don't want to but we do it because we have to.
    It seems to me that its just a case some people are looking for excuses as to why they can't work and i don't see how changing the legislation will assist that.
    There was a hubber who needed someone to work part time, it was within school hours. Not 1 applicant was a sahm, it was all uni students or semi retired.

I don't see really how the policy differs from existing legislation. Also
    business is also able supplying staff during customer demand. There is no point putting staff on when there is no need ( which is why people need to look for alternative jobs- factory night work, night fill, evening register shifts, servo work, bar tending)