+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting daycare soon - really nervous:(

My DS will start daycare in april and the closer it gets to the time the more nervous i get. He'll only be 9.5 months & im dreading that he's going to cry without me he doesn't like going to other people unless he's in the good mood. The worst thing is that i'll have to go back to work 5 days/week i wouldn't be so bothered if he'd go 2-3 days a week but 5 seems like an overkill. In trying to get one day/week working from home so he'll go 4 days/week but my employer was never flexible before so i dont have much hope. I'd quit but we're trying to buy a house this year so thats not an option. Feeling a bit stuck and very sorry for my baby i dont have to go back to work till he's 11.5 months but we have to start daycare earlier cos they wont hold the spot for us... I keep reading all this terrible stuff about kids crying at daycare & full time daycare not being good for them (ie 5 days a week)... We dont have any relatives here so daycare is the only option really... I just wish my job would let me work 3 days week
    So if anyone has any advice how to ease my mind please share i know all kids go to daycare but i feel that 9.5mnths is way too early & 5 days/week is way too much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hi Missbehaving
    I currently work in the Nursery at a Long DayCare Centre. As hard as it is to send your little one believe me when I say the 5 day children cope much better than the 2 day children. Your little one will realise soon enough that this is his new routine. It's much harder for parents than it is for the babies. (I cried more than my dd when I went back to work). Call as many times as you need to throughout the day, if you've still got time before going back to work start off with short days then increase the length of the days as you go.
    I hope I've helped x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I can relate as my DS starts in March when he will be 9 months old. I had to start earlier too to get a childcare spot.

I have always heard really good things about child care so I'm not too worried but I know I will miss him so much.

Bigs Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there,

The reality is that it is going to be very tough at the start... It took my bubs and I a good 3-4 months to really settle in to daycare, and now 18 months on, I can see he enjoys it - they have their little friends etc and daycare really provides some great and creative learning opportunities, much more creative than I am!

I think the most important thing is to fine a centre you are totally comfortable with - I walk out the door after dropping my son off completely comfortable with who is looking after him etc - I think if I didn't feel so comfortable it would be so much harder.

I also try to keep in my mind what me working (and thus him in crèche) means to our family - ie financial stability, house ownership, parents who aren't stressed about money equalling relaxed home life, etc...

Good luck - stick it out for the first little bit as it will get better!

Thanks
    Reviews

My 3 girls have been in family day care since well before 6 months old. There was a little boy at one carer, and he used to cry all the time, because he only came 1 day a week, and never could get in a good rountine. So distressing for him, because it was like he "forgot". mine have always been in 4-5 days, and together, like tues-fri. My girls have their little friends there, and they even ask to go when I'm home from work, because its "funner"! Why to make me feel a bad parent! Lol!!
    I think call as much as you need and it will all work out. They don't love us any less for putting them in care to try and do what we can to give them a better life. Someone once told me that, and I kinda remember it when I have my guilty days. Best of luck!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My DD doesn't go to childcare but a good friend of mine does family daycare and me and DD go up to visit every couple of weeks and PP is right that the full week ones cope much better then 1-2 days kids. When I'm there they are all happy and playing though! They ones who don't do full time just take longer to adjust when they first get there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you! I guess i'll just have to remind myself everyone goes through it & i myself was in daycare... And its a lot of fun for them...

Thanks
    Reviews

Does anyone have any tips how to make the baby more comfortable in the first days - ie leave him by himself for awhile or sit there with him first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I was looking at day care centers for my son a few weeks ago & I asked the ladies the same question. They suggested using the transition period. Basically, you go there a week before he's supposed to start & let him have a play for a few hours while you sit there & watch him. It'll help because he'll get used to the faces he sees there.