+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety?

My girl is almost two (full of beans & is very demanding), i own my own business (so work is constant), just moved to a new area, no friends with babies, and family certainly do not live close.

Life is certainly pushing me to my limits. I feel I had managed it quite well previously, but mind you I was also enjoying the occasional drink and smoke. But now I am completely smoke free (almost 6 months, yay!), and drink rarely! My body and baby thank me everyday, (not that I ever smoked near her, in case you were wondering) but now my tolerance is much lower for frustrating situations, I worry I won't find other mums that understand me, I worry constantly about silly things, I am snappy, constantly tired, stressed, tense and my heart skips a beat or flutters occasionally when I am highly strung or even when I'm trying to rest. I am fairly fit and very active. But I do find I cannot keep still sometimes, and it's incredibly hard to relax.

I am certain i have anxiety of some form and would like to see a GP. And I am curious if any others out there have experienced similar symptoms? And how do you or have you overcome this?

I hope you can provide some informative perspectives for me, it would be nice not to feel so lonely!

Thank you in advance. X

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    First of all ...second of all congrats on giving up smoking

I had those symptoms and spoke to my GP. He checked my thyroid and that was fine and then believed me about how anxious and paranoid I become over nothing. He prescribed anti depressants but I didnt fill the prescription. I dont want to take pills for it...its just not me. Saying that, alot of people do take the pills and their quality of life improves dramatically. He also gave me a referral for a psychologist but I havent gone...though I do think that would be helpful.
    I found that writing things down helps me. I have a journal that I write in whenever I feel like things are getting too much. I still have the panic attacks over nothing but I just try ride them out till they pass.

I think anxiety and stress are sooo common these days and you just need to find the right treatment for you. Speak with your GP and see what he/she says.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Katsumi  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I spoke to my GP years ago when my panic attacks returned and finally did something about my anxiety. I should say though it was a hard thing to do. It just sort of happened, I was having a panic attack to drove to the doctors (dr's and hospitals are 'safe' places for me), by the time I got there the attack had subsided, but I decided I had to stay and actually do something about this, not just keep ignoring it. I have a real habit of taking on too much and when I start change I start to change everything - eg. I just don't take the easy way a lot of the time! At that point in time I had separated from my (now)XH a couple of months prior, quit my job to start my own business and was about to move house. I'd already had work burnout a few years before and didn't want to head there again.

Anyhow, because it was on record that I'd had panic attacks in the past he could put me onto a medicare care plan which included subsidised psychologists visits and the GP clinic also ran a stress management course (2x1hr group sessions with lots of info). The psych was the best thing I did - it made me question what drives me to take on too much, to feel the need to overachieve and look at who was setting the standards for 'success' in my life.

I now always work actively to manage my stress - the biggest thing is knowing when to say 'no' and not be pressured into things. In the moment or a stressful time I have to stop and ask myself "will stressing actually make any difference in this situation?", unless it's life-or-death where the adrenalin is actually required the answer is no!

You Gp will be a good starting point but, from my own experience, if all they want to do is usher you out with a script, seek a second opinion for a more 'whole' approach.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Katsumi  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all thank you ladies for your input and your advice.
    I suffered another panic attack this morning during my workout because I though DD was awake and this one was rather intense. I think now it has reached the point something has to be done about it.
    I am going to go to a GP as soon as I can get an appointment. I need to overcome this, before I become a nervous wreck.
    I have started a journal today also.
    Onwards and upwards...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely take action - it is hard, especially as talking about/thinking about an attack can bring one on, but it is worth it! Good luck with your GP.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Katsumi  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yay for you quitting smoking! I am going on 2 years in June and feel so go for it!

As for the anxiety, I have suffered with depressiona nd anxiety for 15 years. Most of the time is well managed with meds and I am fine. Whilst counseling and meds and doctors can help I am also a big beleiver in natural therapies. Would you consider anything along those lines to compliment medical treatment?Just another suggestion I found that accupunture, NLP and Kinesiology worked the best and things I practice regularly, so much so that I am studing to be a kinesiolologist myself! Anyway I hope you ok, panic attacks are very scary. Take care
    Last edited by pippi; 10-02-2013 at 11:53.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

Katsumi  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety?

2 years that's amazing work hun. Congratulations!

In regards to alternative treatments, yes, almost certainly I would consider these treatments! But I wouldn't know were to start... :-/ is there any treatments that can be bulk billed?

I too have suffered from severe depression for 10 years and have sought counseling with medication to control it. However, I am used to mild bouts of anxiety but this intense anxiety I have been having recently... It's strange, unfamiliar, long lasting and stressful.

Thanks everyone for the advice and support! It's nice not to feel so alien. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well firstly, good on you for taking the step to seek out help! That in itself shows great strength and courage. I believe you have all the tools you need to start working on managing your anxieties!

I cant exactly offer you any ideas or input as I am currently going through a dark phase myself with my major depression and anxiety, but I just wanted to say that you are inspiring me to also take action for mine.

Good luck with your journey.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety?

Thankyou you too, I hope the darkness passes quickly and you get all the support you need and deserve! If you need a vent don't hesitate to message me. Sometimes a stranger who understands your feelings is better than a friend who pretends.

I think when you see that ugly side (which I have seen all too often lately) and your children see it too, it puts it really in perspective. My stupid anxiety has had a hold over me for way too long! The more I ignore it the stronger it gets hence the panic attacks.

This isn't how life should be lived...well I don't want to live like this anymore, something has to give...