+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Placenta Previa bleed @ 35 weeks - now in hospital - advice wanted

Hi, im 35 weeks and have a full placenta previa (due to this I am scheudle for a C-section at 38 weeks). For the first time today I had a small bleed this morning. My OB has admitted me for the weekend and has put me on steroids for next two days to make babys lungs develop quicker *just in case. Just wondereing if anyone else has had or HAS a placenta previa? Did you go to your scheduled C-section date in the end, or does a bleed mean an earlier delivery?? Do the steriods impact babys due date?

thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Placenta Previa bleed @ 35 weeks - now in hospital - advice wanted

I had this for ds. I had a bleed at 36 weeks, was kept in hospital on bed rest for 2 weeks before going for the c/sec that i was originally scheduled for. They said the longer they could keep bubs in without another bleed, would be better. I was also told that with pp, once you have a bleed, its not a matter of if, but when you would have another. If i had had another major bleed i would of been taken straight to theatre.
    I also had the steroids on admission, and as far as i know they make no difference room delivery date.
    Hope that helps a little!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tatia&shura For This Useful Post:

babyCC  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi BabyCc I've been in hospital for over a week now, I have a grade 4 as well. I'm 36 weeks tomorrow fortunately I haven't had a bleed, just here for precaution as I'm 40 minutes away from hospital. I'll be here for another 16 odd days delivering at 37 weeks. Can't wait to leave with my baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi kmvw.... ahhhh u poor thing. I got out today and am now home on bed rest cos i live only 10 mins from my hospital. i am now just spotting but have to go back in if i bleed more than a 50c piece again. by today babys lungs should be mature after the drugs so OB thinking that if i get a significant bleed over next couple weeks he *may deliver particularly if its close to the 37 week mark. im 35+2 today. what hopsital are you in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I looked after two ladies who came in with Grade 4 Placenta Previa at 34 weeks with a large bleed (approx 500mls) hours apart. Both were sent for crash caesars under a general.

Blood flows through the placenta at 500mls/min so you can understand why they take bleeds so seriously and will deliver if you have a significant bleed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

babyCC  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Fortunately I haven't had a bleed, I only have ten days left hopefully I can last that long without a bleed.

BabyCc I'm in The Mercy in Vic they have been wonderful. I would be nervous being at home, but you are only ten minutes away?

Thanks
    Reviews

I had full placenta previa last year when I had my bub. I was booked to have a c-sec at 36+3 but on the morning of 36+1, I had my first and only bleed, but it was a major bleed. I had a c-sec within 3 hours of the bleed. Bub was fine and didn't need to go into the special care nursery. I guess she was just ready to arrive early

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bluehawaii For This Useful Post:

babyCC  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi BabyCc how are you going? Are you still at home on bed rest?

I have my date for a c/s, Thursday 21st baby will be 37+3 cannot wait to take my baby home. I've been in hospital for 17 days now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yes I had a bleed at 35 weeks, baby delivered via csection within 1hr of arriving at hospital. All was well. Take it easy, great that baby will be here soon, all the best.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

babyCC  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kmvw,

Great news on your c/s date!!!!! OMG only 3 more sleeps for you!!! How exciting!! What a relief after such a long (and boring i imagine) stay in hospital. But it will all be SOOOO worth it when you meet the little guy.:-)

Yes im still on "bed rest" at home, although its is VERY hard to just "rest" particularly when i have this crazy urge to clean constantly and prepare the house. Good news though is that I have had no more bleeds (fingers crossed), but did have (sorry if TMI lol) a very gooey thick brown mucus discharge one day. Think that might have been my mucus plug tho . Dunno this is my first so Im flying blind.

Please keep me posted - would love to hear how things turn out for you!!!