+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14

Default Travelling when pregnant

i am just looking for some advice, we had planned to go to vietnam in march when we will be 14 weeks. Dp and i have some concerns. Has anyone been to vietnam when pregnant?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Travelling when pregnant

Can't comment on Vietnam, but just make sure your travel insurance covers you. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Disbride For This Useful Post:

Me&Smooches  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lama - haven't been to Vietnam pregnant but did go when DD was about 13 months so needed to be aware of hygiene/water etc.

It's like most less-developed asian countries I've been to where sticking to a recommended restaurant or those associated with a hotel etc is the safest bet and you must drink bottled water. I stayed in Ha Noi and it's very un-westernised unlike somewhere like, eg. Bangkok (where there is a 7/11 on every corner).

Read up about food there but if you go for cooked dishes you should be quite safe as they like to cook things very hot. Fried rice was always a safe bet for DD (plus she loved it!) and could be gotten anywhere. Avoid salads - and I'd skip those oh-so-good rice paper rolls with the fresh herbs that you wrap your lettuce leaf around as the lettuce/herbs will be either unwashed or washed in non-drinking water.

When eating out I'd order several dishes to share with your DH, that way if they turn up with unexpected ingredients that may pose a risk (eg. raw sprouts) you have something else to choose from. They love to laden everything savoury with MSG - so prepare for the odd night sweat! I'd also have a stash of packaged snacks, crackers etc just in case you're having trouble tollerating the constant different food (you can get all this at the supermarket there too).

Other issues could be the humidity - and in the city the smog - and the fact that taking a taxi in the city can be a bit scary! I'd also not plan anything even slightly 'roughing it' as you won't have as much control of your choices.

Personally, I hate travelling when pregnant (I just decided that after getting back from my last interstate trip at 17 weeks) but it's taken me 1 other interstate trip and a camping trip up north (both of those when preg with DD), plus this latest trip, to decide that!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14

Thanks!
    We are spending a week in KL first and we are thinking about extending that and skipping Vietnam now. Up until finding out we were utd we had planned a fairly active holiday and I am concerned that I may not be up to it, I am not the fittest person so worried the heat and humidity could make me feel worse. I think we have lots of weighing up to do

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was twelve weeks when we did three weeks in Thailand and Borneo, I just followed the usual travel suggestions. Bottled water/safe food etc.
    A tip for Vietnam specifically - the north has a lot of French inspired bread shops and some may have used contaminated water (we read in a guide book not sure how accurate that statement is), the pastries looked delicious although we avoided them.
    Have a great time Vietnam is a beautiful country and lovely culture.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure your Travel insurance covers bub and yep. Research the quality of water, food etc.

I travelled to Las Vegas at 4 weeks pregnant and came home at 6 weeks. I want fine. Worried sick ... but fine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsR2012 For This Useful Post:

Me&Smooches  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just take care of yourself as you would here. I did multiple interstate trips for work while pregnant and did France at 24 to 28 weeks no proplems. I suffered more fatigue than normal but rested as needed.

Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by Euphrosyne; 17-02-2013 at 01:29.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

We are most likely going to cancel the vietnam portion of our trip. We both have our concerns with food, water etc. We have tried for so long for our bub that we dont want to do anything that could be detrimental.

We will still go to KL as it would be more westernised and i am more confident of finding food i can eat. We are looking at maybe Singapore instead of vietnam.

Travel insurance is our must anyway, have never travelled without it pregnant or not!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I went to KL and Phuket at 27 wks with DD2 and never had any problems. Not sure I'd like to go to Vietnam while pregnant though. We used Colombus for insurance other companies would only cover me until 20wks. Have fun and make the most of your child free time!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sounds like a good plan. I'd stop at Singapore too.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post: