+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can anyone recommend some good apps for toddlers (around 2yo)? I have heaps for my older kids but poor DS doesn't really have any for his age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Tantrums in public

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    You're going to get burned at the stake for admitting you're on of *those* mums that use technology as a distraction...
    I do the same thing, it works you can only try it OP
    I'm not going to hang someone for using technology but would warn that I've seen three FB posts last month from mums with toddlers who don't like giving the phones back and managed to break said phones.

I'm with everyone who recommends persisting and choose your timing carefully. For me, mid-morning works. They're still fresh and I can give them morning tea while we are out. Nothing quietens my 12 month old and stops him trying to escape his pram more than a banana! Until.he drops it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    Do what you would do at home if he isn't listening. If he has a tantrum so be it. My son is happy to sit in the trolley or hold my hand. If he doesn't hold my hand he goes in the trolley, if he cries he cries.
    At home is another story, he is in his own environment with his own toys and is pretty well behaved. It's just in public we have the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tantrums in public

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good apps for toddlers (around 2yo)? I have heaps for my older kids but poor DS doesn't really have any for his age.
    My son loves all the tocha apps, phone for kids, subway bmx, thomas apps, puzzles, few learning ones I can't think of,cupcake making.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tantrums in public

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    You're going to get burned at the stake for admitting you're on of *those* mums that use technology as a distraction...
    I do the same thing, it works you can only try it OP
    Yep I know but they can go ahead and burn me, I don't give a rats ;-)

If you look around in public how many people have their head buried in their phones? Hey, if you are on the bub hub forum you have probably got your head in your phone or pc right now! Do people seriously think their kids are going to grow up and NOT be exposed to this technology? I mean this in the nicest possible way, sorry if this sounds aggressive

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Last edited by Candiceo; 11-02-2013 at 13:34.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tantrums in public

IMO you need to persist as otherwise he'll never learn to behave and its far easier to manhandle a screaming toddler into a trolley than an 8 year old. I have only this past week discovered the joys of online shopping however until then I was dragging my 3 under 2.5 years to the shops.... They sometimes crack a tanty but I just calmly explain that we need to do the shopping and the faster we do it the faster we finish and go to the park. It also helps that my coles is great- the deli lady always gives them a little bag full of snacks and the bakery guy gives them something and I try to involve them- "which yoghurt do you want, how many apples etc". They most of the time behave but we have our moments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I went through this but i think i am nearing the end of the very very very long tunnel.

DD was awful! She would do all that you mentioned and more. I had to leave a trolley full of shopping in the middle of the aisle and leave on more then one occasion cos i was at the end of my rope.

Some things that worked for me:
    No threats or bribes but if she did it she know that when she got home, the favourite toy of the day would be put on top of the book case for the rest of the day.... this sort of worked but it also resulted in her hiding toys before we went out!

I go first thing in the morning, DD loves the pizza bread from Brumbys so she can munch on that and then have a proper breakfast when we get home to "Celebrate"

I sometimes carry a calculator with me when food shopping, she loves it so i always have it handy.

She also knew if i walked her to a quiet corner of the store and got down to her level it was serious.

When she did behave a made a massive deal of it and called her dad, put him on speaker phone and told him. This worked pretty well too - if she knew she was good in the shops whe would ask me to call her dad as soon as i put her in the car.

Dont give up and dont back down and you will get there!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my kids have always been good at shops. but i usually take along their ds's in case they get bored. my ds helps telling me how much things are counting out what we need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get them to help with the shopping selection.

I tell my son who is 2yo, that he has to hold onto the trolley (usually at the side) or he has to sit in the child seat area.

Normally he chooses to walk. He is only allowed to let go when I ask him to select an item (eg peaches). He puts the peaches into a plastic bag I hold out for him and we count to the number I want. He loves doing this. I try to avoid letting him select things like glass containers, as obviously they break if he drops them.

If he chooses to go in the trolley (or ends up there because he hasn't followed instructions), then I pass each item to him that I pick up off the shelves and give it to him to hold. Usually by the time I've got the next item, he's put the one prior into the main trolley section (just got to be careful he doesn't start trying to eat some things before they're paid for).

He helps load things onto the checkout too. Sometimes this is the tricky part, as he gets bored and starts to wiggle the trolley etc. Usually I give him one item to hold while he waits and this keeps him happy most of the time (or a piece of fruit to eat).

I know of others that tell their kids that they can have a reward at the end of the shop if they do as asked (such as a food treat or a small toy) and this works too (can work in conjunction with what I do also).

Usually I try to shop before I pick up son from childcare (especially large shops), simply because it's quicker.