+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to agree, I've been to several weddings and the only time I've ever had to stop for food on the way home was three different weddings that were all canape/cocktail weddings.
    There was a few reasons but the main ones were:

You're generally standing up a lot and moving about a lot at a cocktail wedding (as the food is mobile too). That means you're burning more energy than if you're sitting down. That equals more hungry!

15 different canapes might sound like a lot but not everyone is going to GET 15 canapes. I remember one wedding in particular where the servers barely got out of the kitchen before their platters were empty because there was a group of particularly hungry people standing right near the door. They'd take several each and the servers weren't getting around to many of the other guests.
    By the time that particular group of about 15 people were full, the servers were on their few platters each meaning that there were many more polite guests who were lucky to get scraps.

People tend to drink at weddings which increases appetite. I suspect that was the biggest problem of the group that ate a large portion of the food at the previously mentioned wedding.
    They were drinking, already hungry, and not interested in sharing lol.

So basically I've yet to attend a cocktail wedding where I haven't had to eat on the way home. I know it's not up to the people getting married to feed you, but I never want to eat on the way there in case I get there and there's a lot of food. I feel guilty if I don't eat knowing that the people have paid good money for the food!
    I think if you have a later ceremony (say 2-3pm?) and then a cocktail reception that goes until 5pm then generally it's fine as people will eat before they arrive knowing that there won't be a 'meal' provided. But if you're having a standard timing wedding and expecting people to be there for a meal time and perhaps stay late then cocktail receptions generally aren't enough imo.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I also wanted to add that if you are having your wedding and reception at the same venue it's generally a good idea to let people know how much time you plan between the ceremony and reception so that they have the option of going to get food if they want.

All three weddings of the cocktail receptions that we went to had "Reception at XX O'clock, followed by a cocktail reception" on the invitation. Big problem for those who were there. How long are you going to get between ceremony and reception? Will there be enough time to travel to somewhere to get food, eat, and return before the photos etc. are done?
    Most people won't take the risk of appearing rude by leaving and coming back 'for the booze and food' in my experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wedding food dilemma....

Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I remember one wedding in particular where the servers barely got out of the kitchen before their platters were empty because there was a group of particularly hungry people standing right near the door. They'd take several each and the servers weren't getting around to many of the other guests.
    By the time that particular group of about 15 people were full, the servers were on their few platters each meaning that there were many more polite guests who were lucky to get scraps.
    Lol, my husband usually ends up positioned exactly as you describe - right at the kitchen door with a group of other guys who eat all the food as it appears! When we get home he'll be saying 'oh how yummy were the xxxs!' And I'll be thinking 'huh, i never saw a bite of them!'

But yes, as pp said, I would never have told the brides. Afterwards it is always smile/nod/'yes it was lovely'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Wedding food dilemma....

I think the only people on this thread that have said cocktail receptions are great are the brides. I agrer with the pp that said no one is going to tell the bride & groom that the food was gross or inadequate.

If you really want to gauge if it's going to be enough, get exactly what one person would be catered for, have a few drinks first, then space each piece of food out, with more drinks in between, over the time frame that the food is served. Then ask yourself if that was enough. It probably won't be.

Thanks
    Reviews

We had cocktail but it was in the afternoon and we had the function room till 6 so wasnt for dinner ( we had a very small non traditional wedding) it was fine for nibbles but wouldnt have been enough for a meal time. We had things like spring rolls, mini pizzas and satay chicken skewers

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

My cousin had cocktail food at get wedding and because of where we sat we only saw two of the canapes. It all disappeared off the plate before it reached us. We were so hungry!
    At my wedding we had a buffet with food to suit everyone (including vegan) and everyone loved it because it wasn't as formal as a proper sit down dinner.

Sent from my umbrella

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I have to disagree about people not telling the bride. My friends and family would sure as eggs tell me if the food was bad or not enough, we aren't in the habit of sugar coating things and they'd expect the same from me!

My brothers wedding was cocktail style with canapés and it was amazing. The food was beautiful and plentiful and his mates are all big burly footballers and army guys that have massive appetites! Again the staff were asking people to eat as there was more food that needed eating that was cooked and paid for. The food was also absolutely delicious!

The venue plays a HUGE role in the success of a cocktail function and I can a assure you there are plenty of places I would never have trusted with ours.

Also the size of the guest list makes a difference, we only had about 60 people.

Don't get me wrong I've been to plenty of unsuccessful cocktail functions (one only a few weeks ago that had that typical bunch eating the food on its way out the kitchen, it was so bad the mothers of the engaged couple had words with the staff serving the food) because they followed the same route EVERY time they came out and there were about 4 tables not seeing ANY food. A second one was only last weekend and they didn't even carry the food around, they just walked out and plonked it down so you had to make your own way to the food, if you could get there before it ran out.

Not all venues know how to pull off a successful cocktail function with canapés as the only food source, find one that can though and you will thoroughly enjoy it.

The two particularly awesome ones I've been to both were restaurants (not function centres with a catering wing) that had been booked out for the weddings and had senior staff working, not casual juniors and I think this played a huge part. Junior staff tend to not be confident enough to walk past those 'hogs' and share the food around, where as senior staff will and make sure all the 'groups/areas' of the room are seeing full fresh trays of food.

I don't believe you can just decide to do cocktail with canapés and believe it will work and happen. We were adamant on the style of wedding we wanted and we researched venues until we found one I was comfortable with to pull it off and they did an AMAZING job!

Thanks
    Reviews

We had cocktail food then entree, main and cake. All good sizes and all got eaten.

I have been to cocktail weddings and got easily drunk, partly attribute this to more booze being offered than food.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your feedback everyone xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Out wedding ceremony and reception was at the same place so whilst we did photos they enjoyed canapés that people still rave over followed by a 3 course dinner and cake. People were full after the canapés so delicious.