+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colic Strategies

Hi all, We have a 11 week old bub (Gus) who for the last two weeks has been extremely colicky. It starts around 5 - 6pm and goes through to the final feed around 11 - 12 pm and consists of a very unsettled and crying bub. Although he is sleeping through until 6am and then after this feed until 9am. Gus is bottle fed for various reasons which I wont go into here and he is not showing any signs of reflux. We have tried drops (infants friends and infacol) to no effect and are using pretty much every strategy we can think of i.e. rocking, cuddles, bath, shower, massage, holding, dummy, swing etc. etc. Question one - is this usual colic behavior? and question two is - are there any other strategies which you have used which we haven't thought of? Thanks :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colic Strategies

DS was like this, try infant gaviscon after each feed. If you see an improvement it's is possibly silent reflux.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Colic Strategies

Massage! I just did a course and wish I had learnt this when my daughter was a newbie. YouTube infant colic massage. Is bub straining, bringing knees up? It does pass x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colic Strategies

Thanks for that :-) Have been researching and practicing the infant massage. He is arching and bringing his knees up but only at night and we've been told if it was reflux he would do this at every feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Colic Strategies

Yeah that's what I thought when my bub was doing it too. She went through a rough stage of wind pains every night for a few weeks when she was a newbie but maybe not quite as old as your LO? Have you been to see the gp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Colic Strategies

This is quite commonly known as witching hour. Doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong. Could be just over tired.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colic Strategies

Thanks all for your advice. Little man has been a completely different bub this week and is settling much more easily and earlier so perhaps it is the gut maturing. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Zadora...you poor thing. So glad to hear LO is settling a bit better this week. My DS does have reflux but I remember in the early days we were told it was colic. Urggghh the hours of evening screaming!!! Totally feel your pain and big hugs to you! I did the same, holding positions, infants friend...Turns out we had reflux but having said that he did turn a corner around 12 weeks and the evening became much more bearable. His reflux wakes him up but the screaming became a lot less. All I can offer you is understanding and hope that the next few weeks pass quickly and the light at the end of the tunnel starts to shine for you soon