+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Thrush or UTI?

So the last couple of days I have been very itchy and raw which progressed to a very mild burning (more uncomfortable then painful) feeling when I urinate.

I got in to see my doctor who tested my urine and said it didn't look too bay but said if it doesn't improve in 24 hours (it hasn't) to take an dose of antibiotics but now I'm thinking its probably trush and not a UTI?

It was like pulling teeth to get my appointment with GP to begin with so there is no way I could get back in with the next couple of weeks.

I'm very reluctant to take the anti biotics because if it is trush they will make it worse but if its a UTI I don't want to make that worse or have it affect the baby.

I am seeing my midwife Tuesday but just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me personally, UTI's dont itch. Just sting like a mo fo when I pee. Thrush itches. The only time I have taken anti biotics when I had a UTI was when I was preggers because apparently it can cause premature labor. But the anti biotics then gave me thrush so then I had to use the cream you insert Worked out fine in the end though and the pharmisist said it was safe during pregnancy.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It sounds to me like it is thrush, especially since it involves itchiness and burning. A UTI is more the feeling of the need to pass urine, but when you do it's just a trickle. It also makes you feel (overall) not well and can often have a strong odour (quite distinct) when you do pass urine and may often have blood in it.

You can quite safely have some thrush cream on the outer to alleviate the itch and sting. Lot's and lot's of water to stay hydrated, no soap where your skin is agravated and also good to have some probiotics, either by way of natural yoghurt or the tablets.

If yu really still think it may be a UTI then definitely still get it checked out to rule it out as you don't want it to turn into a kidney infection if it is. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thrush or UTI?

Thanks ladies. I'm thinking thrush too. I've started taking inner health plus again so hopefully that will help. Does anyone know any other home remedies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Thrush or UTI?

You can use natural yogurt down there to alleviate the itching/soreness. Messy but it helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Great to hear you're using Inner Health Plus, as that will help treat your insides. Some natural methods are as Summerstarlet suggested, some natural yoghurt on your sore bits, very soothing too!

As odd as it might sound, try having a vinegar and bi carb bath, as soaking in that can help too.

Other than that, cutting back on sugar(s) so that it doesn't 'feed' the candida, as thrush is so common in pregnancy and staying well hydrated.