+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Introducing a second cat

We currently have a five month old male kitten who will soon be desexed. My parents have a cat who will come to live with us when my parents move in a few months time. The other cat is also male and desexed and 8 years old.

Im wondering what the best way to introduce them to each other. The older cat has never lived with another cat before but has lived with two little dogs. Im just wondering if anyone has anysuggestions on how to handle the new situation.

I hope they both get along and become good friends.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have cats at the moment but we used to always have them as children. I think it is best to let lock the cat that you have at the moment in a room, and give the new cat a couple of hours to explore and sniff his surroundings. Then lock the new cat in a room overnight. In the morning let them both meet each other and hope for the best. I have always heard of the butter on paws trick for new cats but not sure how much truth there is to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Leave one cat in a carrier while the other cat can smell. If either show distress then separate and try again later. You might already know but each cat will need its own litter tray and food bowls.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think i saw on Dr Harry that you put the new cat in a small room with all it's new bedding etc. slowly leave the door open just a tiny crack so the cats can just touch paws etc. then open it a bit more so they can se each other but can't hurt each other. Then let the old cat in to sniff around the new cats room and have some supervised time with the new cat.

You could also try leaving an old shirt (that you have worn) in the bed of the new cat. So it gets used to your smell too

I hope they end up best friends! I just love cats but we only have the one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. Everyone here is convinced they will be fine. Im just trying to help the process as much as I can. Will let you know when the new guy moves in.