+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Getting your tonsils out as an adult.

I should have added that you'll definitely need the two weeks. You will be in pain and exhausted for most of that time, from memory I started to feel human again around day 10, it was probably 3 weeks after surgery before I felt 100% bit it was the best thing I ever did. I was sick all the time before I had my tonsils out with various colds, tonsilitis, chest infections, etc but I've barely been sick in the 4 years since.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting your tonsils out as an adult.

Thanks Ladies! Am I going to be able to do this on my own? Hubby is very unsupportive ATM with me being so exhausted. Keeps throwing it in my face about having to "have" the kids ALL (exaggerated) the time while I sleep.

I am over it. I'm over getting made to feel guilty. I try to explain that this is part of having a F/T working wife who's doing 50hrs week to provide for the family. If we both work FT there can't be any "traditional" male jobs/female jobs its just get in & do it.

Along with other dramas, I just can't keep getting made to feel guilty & like a second class mother/wife. He loves the $$ but not the stark realities that come with it.

Giving up my job is not an option, it's a job heaps of people would kill for & I love it & I am so grateful I've got it.

Argh, why can't relationships be simpler.

Sometimes I just think life would be so much easier for everyone if I wasn't around.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have had my tonsils out and a c section and for me personally I found the tonsils more painful and my recovery was longer than my c section recovery. I was on morphine and then panadeine forte for my tonsils, so way stronger painkillers than for a c section. My sister also had her tonsils out as an adult and she was eating that very night and recovered super fast! So I think everyone is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so sorry you have such an unsupportive husband You will definitely need some help for the first few days. You will be exhausted and generally feeling a bit sorry for yourself. I was up and about doing normal household duties a few days after. At the start of the second week i was in alot of pain and needed to spend a few days on the couch.

Do you have some family members or friends that could be on standby should you need a day in bed?

xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

No friends or family I can rely on. It's just too hard. My family are so selfish. No real friends to help either. It's so sh!t I'm over it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, but I have to agree with Janey2012, my tonsils were far worse than my two Caesars, I couldn't believe it. You will definitely need help/support, I didn't get out of bed for about 10 days, it was terrible

Thanks
    Reviews

I had mind out at 25 and had a terrible time. My tonsils were large even when not inflammed so there was a lot of scabbing and I had referral pain in my ears which was the worse.

I was given oxycodon which is a narcotic and not all the docs at my GP centre could prescribe it so string refills was fun. It was 2 weeks of scheduled drugs, eating nothing but jelly and custard with no sleep and crawling around as I was so stoned from the drugs. But the pain when they started to wade off was unbelievable!

I couldn't talk properly. No offence intended, but I was mistaken as a Down's syndrome person because my speech was affected was badly.

But after the 2 weeks of hell it improved big time very quickly and I definately don't regret it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Astraamy View Post
    I had mind out at 25 and had a terrible time. My tonsils were large even when not inflammed so there was a lot of scabbing and I had referral pain in my ears which was the worse.
    OMG I'd forgotten about the ear thing until you just mentioned it. I also had referred pain in my ears for only for the first 1-2 days, it felt like someone was stabbing my brain through my ear.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had mine out at 17 which I think counts as an adult (as in, I wasn't 4)

It was fantastic for the fact that all my life I would get tonsillitis every couple of months. But at 17 I had a six month bout of what they said was 'chronic' tonsillitis and that I could finally get my tonsils out. I was so so sick for six months, nothing was strong enough for the infection by the end. My throat had been so sore for so long that after surgery I don't remember it being a great deal worse. Panadol was enough to ease the pain after going home from hospital and I just made sure I timed it well with eating (by the end of the 4 hour time frame it would wear off and eating was painful)

My recovery from surgery was definitely slow... I suppose that again was due to the fact that I had been sick for so long that my body was completely run down. I have never had GA for anything else so I can't compare but I could barely eat the next day and they almost kept me in a second night, managed to keep some savoy biscuits down and I was allowed to go home... Couldn't stand the thought of being there any longer!!! Was pretty drained for a good week or so.

Totally worth it though, practically never get sick anymore

I'm pretty sure I was told I wasn't allowed to do anything for 14 days... But I was going pretty stir crazy by the second week and did sneak out and do stuff. I think everyone is different and you don't want to run yourself down further during recovery, might delay it and result in you getting sick with some other virus etc. I wouldn't push it and try to get the two weeks off.
    Last edited by LittleLadyBojangles; 09-02-2013 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews

I also had mine out at 21. It was very painful after surgery. The day of surgery was bearable, also had c-sections I developed a post operative ear infection, and it was excruciating! Shooting/stabbing pain in my ears, referred down the size of my face/jaw!
    They tell you to eat toast(this was a while back now though), to help scrape off the crap from surgery. So glad I've had the surgery though! Used to get tonsillitis every month for 2 weeks. The last straw was hospitalisation because my tonsils were so enlarged I literally could not swallow!