+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Constipation..

Not a toilet training problem but I didn't know where else to put this..

Dd3 is 4 month old and has recently started formula, she hasn't done a poo for a few days. She keeps farting and they are pretty smelly so I know she needs to do one. What are some suggestions to help her?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipation..

Brown sugar and water! 30mls to one teaspoon brown sugar, baby health nurse told me. Gives a kick start to the bowels apparently!

My DD was the same. Turned out it was Colic. Few different things you can try Infacol, infants friend, coloxyl drops. We found Iberogast works for DD given just once a day instead of 3 as the directions say but some people don't like it as it contains 1% alcohol but GP recommended it and it works!

I was told too that a poo even once a week is normal. There is no way DD could go more than 48 hrs without being miserable from the constipation and bad gas!!

Edit: terrible spelling!!
    Last edited by Lauzy83; 08-02-2013 at 17:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend was told to give her ds watered down prune juice to help with his constipation. dd1 was on gripe water for her wind and that seemed to loosen her stool!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipation..

Prune juice definitely worked for us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Prune juice or pear juice for us. When formula-fed DS was that age he only pooed every 2 or 3 days but he wasn't uncomfortable - still runny.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipation..

Quote Originally Posted by Mopeg View Post
    Prune juice or pear juice for us. When formula-fed DS was that age he only pooed every 2 or 3 days but he wasn't uncomfortable - still runny.
    Oh massive relief. She doesn't seem uncomfortable I was just worried. I might give her a couple days and then try the above suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipation..

Quote Originally Posted by mum2mj View Post
    Oh massive relief. She doesn't seem uncomfortable I was just worried. I might give her a couple days and then try the above suggestions.
    I knew DS was constipated when he started constantly grunting and pushing but (obviously) nothing was happening. He also seemed more comfy on his tummy. He was pushing/grunting for 4 days before we tried prune juice, and the poo'splosion happened within hours!

Don't worry too much, DS is comp fed (mostly formula) and can have 2 weeks of being seriously regular (down to the hour) to going every 2-3 days. They love to keep us guessing

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipation..

Good to know dd is mostly formula fed too! The worst thing about her going so long between poos is knowing when she does one its gonna be a big one haha.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipation..

The relief you can see on them after they've done a poo is quite funny! DD gives a big grin!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baby massage can assist with this too, they get all relaxed and just love it. My 4 year old still loves a little massage on his belly and back.