+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What if Liberal wins in september?

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    There are alot of us who pay a lot of tax, who will not pay that tax when we choose babies over work. As per my previous post the government is set to loose over 20k in income tax from me alone next year, not to mention loss of GST revenue ( as we arent spending) and still give me over 10k ( ppl) and thanks to our "low income" actually be possibly eligible for government assistance. It's going to cost the government a lot more than my wage for 26 weeks.
    I don't mind who you vote for, I'm just saying to look at the bigger picture of what's happening now. I know there are a lot of women who are in the same boat as me ( just in my office alone we have two others)
    Totally agree, except my case is even more extreme - I own a small business which I am 'hibernating' (or not operating) for about 6 months after this bub is due in July. So not only are they missing out on my income tax and spending, but I also won't be employing any staff, which potentially affects their income/tax/spending too.

If I had 26 weeks paid leave, I would potentially keep my business going under someone else's care for that time as the financial risk to me wouldn't be as great.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think this election is going to be very much the same as the last in terms of it being a hung parliament or very close...... There a pair if nit wits!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    By the same token, a large portion will say 'that sounds great but I don't like him so I won't vote for his party' without stopping to ask whether or not a policy is in fact possible - look at all the replies on here with everyone saying 'oh that would never work where would they get the money without cutting my baby bonus', but so many people still haven't gone and read media releases to see how indeed they plan for this to work.
    I saw an interview with Joe Hockey yesterday asking if they still planned to bring in the 26 weeks and how they would pay for it. He said thru cutting such things as the school kids bonus and the mining tax ( suspect he meant the rebates people are being paid). So it will at least come partially from low to middle income earners.

I don't blame people for worrying their BB is cut. There is already a PPL scheme in place, which I fully support. But leave the BB and increase the PPL a bit. To say it's ok for working women (and often 2 income families) to get pretty huge assistance at the expense of SAHM's who will get nothing or a further reduction isn't fair. The BB has already be lowered by 2k for subsequent children.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Eko  (09-02-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    There are alot of us who pay a lot of tax, who will not pay that tax when we choose babies over work. As per my previous post the government is set to loose over 20k in income tax from me alone next year, not to mention loss of GST revenue ( as we arent spending) and still give me over 10k ( ppl) and thanks to our "low income" actually be possibly eligible for government assistance. It's going to cost the government a lot more than my wage for 26 weeks.
    I don't mind who you vote for, I'm just saying to look at the bigger picture of what's happening now. I know there are a lot of women who are in the same boat as me ( just in my office alone we have two others)
    I see what you're saying, I'm in the same shoes. Minimum wage for me is nowhere near my regular wage. And I would be eligible for the same assistance as you. But I have to wonder how many women are in that position? You said there are two women in your office, but how many women are there working say as check out chicks or call center workers that could say that there's a few other women in their workplace that are in similar situations?

I would think the amount of women in the population that are on minimum wage or close to would have to be higher than the amount of women who actually cost the government more on PPL? (I don't know for certain, I'd have to check that out).
    So that would make me think that the disadvantage of the cost being 'higher' for that smaller proportion than the larger proportion would have to be smaller than the disadvantage of trying to find the funds for 26 weeks of everyone being on their full time wage?
    I have to say I'm not great with numbers and statistics, so clearly I'd have to spend a bit more time looking into it but I still have to wonder. Where is that money supposed to come from?

By the same token, a large portion will say 'that sounds great but I don't like him so I won't vote for his party' without stopping to ask whether or not a policy is in fact possible - look at all the replies on here with everyone saying 'oh that would never work where would they get the money without cutting my baby bonus', but so many people still haven't gone and read media releases to see how indeed they plan for this to work.
    Agreed. I don't believe in not voting for a party just because you don't like the figurehead and that's why I research the parties and not just the people.
    I hadn't even considered the baby bonus, I guess I just kind of assumed that they would leave that alone as the uproar would be crazy if they DID cut it. Which is why I was questioning where that money is supposed to come from. Will we pay higher taxes? Will the taxes we have be redistributed? I don't know. That's why I'm curious about it.
    It's a great idea. I just don't know how they'd make it happen.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I guess like pp said the baby bonus would stay but sahm would be even more worse off than ppl recepiants on their own wage
    And that's different to before they chose to have the baby how?

When I had my son, the baby bonus I received was dependent upon how much I earned in the year before I had him. (This was under a liberal government). Others who weren't working - got a lower rate, but still got something.

Is there a reason people who weren't working before they had their children should get the same as women who are on leave from work?

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

which speaking of the carbon tax, I find it ironic the govt has made little money yet the energy companies have put prices thru the roof! They have totally profiteered.
    But have the government made little money due to low amounts of carbon tax coming in, or due to paying out rebates to the public? Just because the government has made little money from the carbon tax, does not mean that the big businesses haven't been paying big bucks to the government.

What I'm more interested in is has it actually made a change to the climate? That was my opposition to it all along - nothing to do with an actual tax.

BTW - a lot of the changes to power bills have occurred separate to the carbon tax - same as fuel rises.

People have assumed they've been due to the carbon tax.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I see what you're saying, I'm in the same shoes. Minimum wage for me is nowhere near my regular wage. And I would be eligible for the same assistance as you. But I have to wonder how many women are in that position? You said there are two women in your office, but how many women are there working say as check out chicks or call center workers that could say that there's a few other women in their workplace that are in similar situations?

I would think the amount of women in the population that are on minimum wage or close to would have to be higher than the amount of women who actually cost the government more on PPL? (I don't know for certain, I'd have to check that out).
    So that would make me think that the disadvantage of the cost being 'higher' for that smaller proportion than the larger proportion would have to be smaller than the disadvantage of trying to find the funds for 26 weeks of everyone being on their full time wage?
    I have to say I'm not great with numbers and statistics, so clearly I'd have to spend a bit more time looking into it but I still have to wonder. Where is that money supposed to come from?

Agreed. I don't believe in not voting for a party just because you don't like the figurehead and that's why I research the parties and not just the people.
    I hadn't even considered the baby bonus, I guess I just kind of assumed that they would leave that alone as the uproar would be crazy if they DID cut it. Which is why I was questioning where that money is supposed to come from. Will we pay higher taxes? Will the taxes we have be redistributed? I don't know. That's why I'm curious about it.
    It's a great idea. I just don't know how they'd make it happen.
    Read the earlier quotes. The liberal plan is to impose a 1.5% tax on businesses paying greater than $5m/annum in tax. That is what I read.
    I honestly think this whole parental thing is such a small part of the budget. I personally think our foreign aide budget really needs a good looking into - I am still appalled that flood victims were given $1m whilst an overseas nation in need with a corrupt gvt was given $10m by the aust gvt. We need robe voting for more than just parenting payments to really show concern for our country.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    And that's different to before they chose to have the baby how?

Is there a reason people who weren't working before they had their children should get the same as women who are on leave from work?
    Very very good point. The whole point of increasing PPL is to encourage the best and brightest women to keep the positions they worked so hard for - which stimulates the economy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is a great idea. The way I see it is yes the mother will get more money for longer but I assume its taxable income so she will be paying higher taxes than the current ppl. Also they can enjoy the baby and pop back into work and keep paying taxes. How would this bankrupt the country but many parents not working for 6 or more years to pay taxes not bankrupt it?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    But have the government made little money due to low amounts of carbon tax coming in, or due to paying out rebates to the public? Just because the government has made little money from the carbon tax, does not mean that the big businesses haven't been paying big bucks to the government.
    But in order for outgoing payments to almost equal what they are getting in for the tax, that tells me big business isn't paying much. Payments were worked out on a coal price. Those costs on natural resources have taken a dive and business are paying well under what the govt expected when they set the rebates for the mining tax.

Yet my power bill has risen by 25% with exactly the same useage. It would seem logical that the fact coal has gone right down, thus they paid much less than the govt thought, that their prices should have only increased a bit. Then the govt could have re assessed and dropped the rebate a little bit in line with the fact costs of creating energy has gone down and so has the cost to the consumer.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good point