+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is it easier to wean (BF) a 1yo or a 2 yo?

Hi all,

Well I am at almost 15mo and didnt think I would make it this far but I have.

I am starting to feel that I would like to wean at some stage but not overly bothered if its not straight away.

DD loves her bf and we currently bf to sleep so I do have issues there anyway but I was wondering, is it easier to wean a 1 year old or easier to wean a 2 year old?

Just trying to work out when as I do want to stop at some stage as I dont want to keep going forever but I want to do whats best for DD.

I keep thinking I might give her milk for her arvo feed but then I think 'why give her cows milk when breast is so much better for her?'

So I guess I am at a bit of a cross roads and not sure what to do. But if i hear its harder to wean at 2yo I might start weaning now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Is it easier to wean (BF) a 1yo or a 2 yo?

I found at 2 they are easier to communicate with. They can kind of understand "you are a big kid now, you don't need booby" better than a 1 year old would. So my vote would be 2.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Anyone else have any experiences to share?

Thanks
    Reviews

DD1 weaned at around the same age as your bub but she was down to just the one feed before bed at night. One night I had to go out so my DH gave her a cup of warm cows milk before bed and then the next night I went to feed her before bed but she refused. I was devastated I tried again for a few nights after that but she wasn't interested, she would get cross and push me away.

Certainly not what I was expecting and it broke my heart that we had her last breastfeed without even knowing it, if you know what I mean.

She was never really into breast feeding. She is the same with food now at 4 years old. She could take it or leave it and everything takes priority over eating and drinking :/

DD2 is almost 11 months old and LOVES her milkies. I think it would be harder to wean her but I'm happy to let her set the pace and do it on her terms.

It's down to your bub, if she loves feeding and is not ready to give it up then it might be difficult at any age

Best of luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subbing - such a great question!

I'm really interested in this as well. My DS is 16months and still feeds a couple of times a day. I've been wondering what the next step is so love reading about everyone's experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews

Another shameless bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 fed to sleep until 2.5 years.
    From 2 it was just one night feed.
    I didn't have to actively wean she just had shorter and shorter feeds, until one day she didn't want it.

Easiest weaning ever.

I will do the same with DD2 now 16 months, although she is even keener on her bfeeds and still feeding up to eight times every 24 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD self weaned a week before her second birthday. She loved booby and the only reason she gave it up was because I was pregnant and at 5 months my supply dropped and turned into colostrum. She really missed it and instead of feeding from me she developed the habit of having to hold/touch my breasts.

If you have a booby baby then I think it would be hard to give up at any age. Could you start by trying to drop feeds?