+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    As far as I'm aware and personal experience you can't be 'locked up in rehab' I don't think we have that here (although I hear about it in America) Jail provides rehab programs, but all rehabs all voluntary.
    Most rehabs also cost alot of money and are private so you need money to get in. The ones run by the Salvos are free but very very limited to long time users and people who have been in and out of jail for a long time.
    There is little available options for education and rehab in this country and if they do spend money on it it needs to be available to all people, not just those who are pregnant.
    Sorry this isn't true. The mental health tribunal does have the power to forcibly commit a person who is a danger to themselves or to others who has a mental illness. I know I have been through the process personally. You won't be committed to a private rehab facility but a ward in a public mental hospital. It's a bl00dy awful thing to do to someone but if it's that or watch them die there are sometimes not many choices available.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

As far as I'm aware and personal experience you can't be 'locked up in rehab' I don't think we have that here (although I hear about it in America) Jail provides rehab programs, but all rehabs all voluntary.
    Most rehabs also cost alot of money and are private so you need money to get in. The ones run by the Salvos are free but very very limited to long time users and people who have been in and out of jail for a long time.
    There is little available options for education and rehab in this country and if they do spend money on it it needs to be available to all people, not just those who are pregnant.
    Alot of rehabs including the salvos ones take your centrelink allowance to pay for accommodation/meals etc and then give you an allowance to spend on toiletries/tobacco/whatever each week. I went to a salvos rehab and have never been in jail (thank God.)

They aren't free but aren't expensive either.

Not sure but can't people be court ordered to rehab? You're right though, there is no security and you can just walk out. I guess people who are court ordered choose to stay or breach their agreement. I know people can be 'white carded' or whatever they call it and committed to treatment (mental health ward, etc.)

Definitely agree there needs to be more options/support etc!!
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 08-02-2013 at 14:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Alot of rehabs including the salvos ones take your centrelink allowance to pay for accommodation/meals etc and then give you an allowance to spend on toiletries/tobacco/whatever each week. I went to a salvos rehab and have never been in jail (thank God.)

Not sure but can't people be court ordered to rehab? You're right though, there is no security and you can just walk out. I guess people who are court ordered choose to stay or breach their agreement.

I think they are required to stay for a predetermined period or they can be returned. But the period is really short and you're right the patient can leave. It's a hospital, not a jail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think they can now be in Qld.
    Ahh, makes sense re the abortion laws there then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry this isn't true. The mental health tribunal does have the power to forcibly commit a person who is a danger to themselves or to others who has a mental illness. I know I have been through the process personally. You won't be committed to a private rehab facility but a ward in a public mental hospital. It's a bl00dy awful thing to do to someone but if it's that or watch them die there are sometimes not many choices available.
    I was talking about drug addiction though not mental health. My brother for example in his 20years of drug taking, in and out of court, he was never sentenced to a rehab because there is no such thing. And a mental facility I don't see how that would help a drug addict get off drugs?
    Maybe we're talking about 2 different things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

They aren't free but aren't expensive either.

Not sure but can't people be court ordered to rehab? You're right though, there is no security and you can just walk out. I guess people who are court ordered choose to stay or breach their agreement. I know people can be 'white carded' or whatever they call it and committed to treatment (mental health ward, etc.)

Yeah that's correct about taking centrelink payments. But we've found it very very difficult to get in because they're always full.
    I think when you mean court ordered, like part of parole but its still voluntary, a court doesn't actually order it but will release you early if you tell them thats what you're doing. Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I was talking about drug addiction though not mental health. My brother for example in his 20years of drug taking, in and out of court, he was never sentenced to a rehab because there is no such thing. And a mental facility I don't see how that would help a drug addict get off drugs?
    Maybe we're talking about 2 different things?
    Possibly. I would argues though that 20 years of drug addiction could lead to a mental illness. That's what happened to my brother. He had depression as a teenager, became an alcoholic now 30 years of constant drinking means he has severe mental problems.

Even still with all this we were unable to get him committed. The process is a nightmare. He's been in and out of rehab his whole life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Possibly. I would argues though that 20 years of drug addiction could lead to a mental illness. That's what happened to my brother. He had depression as a teenager, became an alcoholic now 30 years of constant drinking means he has severe mental problems.

Even still with all this we were unable to get him committed. The process is a nightmare. He's been in and out of rehab his whole life.
    Absolutely. Either lead to or be a symptom of an existing one

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah that's correct about taking centrelink payments. But we've found it very very difficult to get in because they're always full.
    I think when you mean court ordered, like part of parole but its still voluntary, a court doesn't actually order it but will release you early if you tell them thats what you're doing. Does that make sense?
    There is often a wait list yeah. There needs to be more facilities for sure. I was lucky to get in within a couple of weeks.

And yes it makes sense. I guess for offences punishable by incarceration, there isn't really an option at this stage. More needs to be done inside jails, etc and beyond to address these real issues IMO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Someones Mummy  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Absolutely. Either lead to or be a symptom of an existing one
    Absolutely.