+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with your entire post, almost. I think there really are people out there that don't deserve kids. Not because they are druggies or alcoholics or anything, just because they are horrible people, Joseph Fritzl springs to mind.

Also, I know an alcoholic who is a dad, it is not ideal and he is far from perfect. But jeez he loves his kids and he would lay his life down for them. It is so sad to see him slowly killing himself. But as you said, a lot has to do with Mental illness, and it doesn't make him bad or evil, just unwell

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Yes, it's brutal to say the least.

I also don't agree with terms like 'undeserving' or 'evil' either. People don't become addicts because they are evil! They are human beings who have problems and need help. Yes a lot of addicts are their own worst enemy and don't help themselves but that doesn't make them bad people. Hopeless maybe but not evil.

My cousin has suffered from mental illness since a late teen and she would always stop taking her meds, and also took drugs. She had a baby who had to be detoxed during the first week of his life and had been raised by my uncle and his wife. As far as I know he is doing well (now 8 years old).

My cousin continues to struggle with mental illness and substance abuse and always will. She is not evil, she is sick and in more ways than not, hopeless. But her life is her life - she can be offered help forever but we can't force her to take it or be able to cope with it. There was no question the baby was not to be raised by her and luckily she had family who could take him in. There was no 'if' factor about her raising this baby - she clearly couldn't and in cases like this it's clear. I think our family would have been all for her being kept in a rehab facility when she was pregnant though but none of us were aware of her drug-addiction as she hid it well (and her mental illness made her erratic anyway).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (08-02-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wonder if these women in QLD would even continue these pregnancies if they had access to safe legal abortion. Maybe they should be focusing on free contraception and safe legal (free? we can only hope) abortions instead of forcing women to carry and give birth to children they may not want or care about.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (08-02-2013),dancingchipmunk  (08-02-2013),onionskin  (08-02-2013),Rutabaga  (08-02-2013),VanityFey  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Why arent drug taking, risk taking, alcoholic men who are making damaged sperm locked up for say 6 months prior to becoming Dads?

Damaged sperm create damaged children

Ooops - sorry - can't do that now can we....
    Exactly right. At the very least the dads should get locked up with the mother so as to support his unborn child through the process of rehab. And if he's a druggo himself all the more important he's rehabilitated as well so he can care for his baby once born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    It would be a sad day if women are to become nothing more than the vessel to carry the baby.
    It all sounds very American and we know were all of their policies get them.
    Last edited by HarvestMoon; 08-02-2013 at 13:13.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I am really concerned about this just being the beginning.

I know the majority of women do not do these particular things but where will it end and who will stand up for you when they come to take away your rights?

I am getting kind of tired of standing up for everyone else's rights to only be told I don't deserve my own twice in this thread homebirth has been bought up, I know those posters have not said women do not deserve the right to hb but that it was even bought up shows where these laws will head.
    Yep that's why I brought it up. If we are going to talk about 'dangerous' practices while pg ( and note my point is 'dangerous' is very subjective but often the med pros get the final say ) there are lots and lots of things that *some* might consider dangerous based on their own values.

Where is the line??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep that's why I brought it up. If we are going to talk about 'dangerous' practices while pg ( and note my point is 'dangerous' is very subjective but often the med pros get the final say ) there are lots and lots of things that *some* might consider dangerous based on their own values.

Where is the line??
    Exactamondo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Lock up risk-taking mothers

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

Where is the line??
    Agreed. Yesterday when someone was arguing about the whole Chrissie swan thing to me IRL, she said it was no different to women taking medication that is not class A when pregnant, and saying both should be made illegal (smoking, taking any medication that isn't class A etc) me being someone who had to take zofran (a class b drug I believe) to avoid being hospitalised multiple times throughout all 3 of my pregnancies, this is insane.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Agreed. Yesterday when someone was arguing about the whole Chrissie swan thing to me IRL, she said it was no different to women taking medication that is not class A when pregnant, and saying both should be made illegal (smoking, taking any medication that isn't class A etc) me being someone who had to take zofran (a class b drug I believe) to avoid being hospitalised multiple times throughout all 3 of my pregnancies, this is insane.
    Good point.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

My initial reaction was to agree with the idea of intervening when pregnant women are knowingly putting their unborn child at serious risk due to drug and alcohol abuse. I think something does need to be done to address it, but I just don't know what the answer is.

I completely understand the bodily autonomy argument too. I would hate to be told I have waived my rights to my own body just by being pregnant. But I think that's at the extreme end and doesn't reflect the intention of the proposed changes to the law.

I think there are circumstances where people forfeit their rights. If you commit a crime, you forfeit your right to be a free member of society. We're all ok with that aren't we? If a family member has a drinking problem, do you 'intervene'? Or do you say to yourself that it's their body and you have no right to challenge them on their behaviour? If those circumstances are acceptable, we could argue that there is valid cause to enforce a law that gets pregnant women with alcohol and drug problems off the street and healthy for the sake of their unborn child.

I think talking about locking up women for having a c-section or eating cheese or not breastfeeding (seriously???) is an over-reaction, the risk profiles would be drastically different.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its very, very scary. One more way to control women and make our bodies public property.

They would never suggest this level of control for men.

I do not condone drinking and drug taking during pregnancy, and am so sad for the poor babies but this kind of proposal is draconian. People may say, 'oh I'd never do that, so the law wouldn't effect me.' But once people accept one level of control, its easy to gradually increase it in stepping stones.

More education, better support for people at risk of self harm behaviours like this (because alcoholism and drug addiction is a form of self harm) and working on the root causes are a positive step in the solution. That is the way forward.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-02-2013),beebs  (08-02-2013),Benji  (08-02-2013),Ellewood  (08-02-2013)