+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

Oh, I just retread. Safe houses. Like halfway houses?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

ReREAD even.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    If these incubators are happy to risk their childs health, happiness and future then ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Uh... did you just call a pregnant woman an incubator?
    I am guessing that it was meant in the same vein as referring to a "deadbeat dad" as a "sperm donor" - implying that they are not worthy to be considered a parent.

---------------

I'm afraid that I however object to such measures and believe that bodily autonomy is paramount.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...-1226573097160

Half the women I look after don't show up to antenatal appointments at the moment because they're afraid we're going to take the other kids off them etc because of their "risk-taking" behavior. All this is going to do is drive the most vulnerable and disadvantaged women who should be seeking medical care during their pregnancies (co-existing illnesses, previous poor outcomes, drugs, alcohol and tobacco use which puts the baby at an increased risk of needing medical treatment once born) underground where they will be too afraid to seek medical care because they don't want to be locked up and controlled.

Where do you draw the line at the risk taking anyway?
    I completely agree with what you wrote here op.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The idea of this law being passed makes me hang my head.

I am not an incubator, I am a woman.

These women need help, locking them up is not going to solve anything.

Bodily autonomy must always be paramount. Btw, my heart aches to think of some of these babies in such situations, but the slope is just too slippery.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2013),HarvestMoon  (08-02-2013),Rutabaga  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Putting them in a safe house will help with drug rehabilitation, put them in a safer environment and could save theirs and their babies life. I don't see how that is a bad thing.
    Drug addict/alcoholics are vulnerable in that state, are in violent situations, do risky behaviours and worst of all the babies suffer when they're born. Will I turn a blind eye because I don't want to lose 'my rights' to an abortion or think it will happen to me. No, because there is always a line drawn and this is clearly about drug and alcohol addicted mothers.
    Union president Ian Leavers says the state should be able to intervene in cases where children are at risk of foetal alcohol syndrome and drug addictions.
    "Those children also deserve the right to a full life and health and should not be disadvantaged simply because of the actions or inaction of their birth mother," he says in the submission.
    I agree with the above from the article.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (08-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I will never ever be ok with the unborn being put ahead of the mother, ever. This is not Texas (thank god).

Some people don't deserve to be parents, I get that, some people are so horrible. But if you bring in laws like that where and when does it stop? Potentially it could affect every mother, what someone might consider low risk, they might consider high risk. At the end of the day, bodily autonomy is too important to lose.
    Agree with this. Slippery slope indeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My concern is will it open the flood gates? will we be able to lock up/put a woman in a closed setting bc she wants to homebirth a breech baby? the medical profession believes it is 'dangerous'. What about over weight pg women? They are at greater risk of GD and pre eclampsia which can cause premature labour, shoulder dystosia. Women that excessively exercise - which has been shown it can cause m/c, pre term labour. Alcohol - what is the limit? Studies show there is NO safe amount. So does that mean mum to be that has a glass or two of wine here and there fits the category?

I'll be clear i am NOT condoning drug and alcohol use during pg. But if this passes I see that we *will* just become incubators. Vessels to carry children who have every move judged and basic rights removed. But really, I could list 100 different things pg can and do do which could endanger their unborn child...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2013),Benji  (08-02-2013),Mulva  (09-02-2013),Rutabaga  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There was a Bill put forward in the Senate last year in the US, recommending that women be charged with Prenatal murder if they cause a miscarriage, even unintentionally, that included if they had a fall. Now this is in a Western Country, one that we align ourselves closely with. If such ridiculous laws can be put forward in the US, why on earth would we think that things like that couldn't happen here.

Sometimes I cringe when I hear about the choices parents make, that they can make because of bodily autonomy - the late term termination of twin boys because she wanted girls jumps out at me. But - the alternative is way too scary to fathom.

I am a woman, who should be able to make decisions about what happens to my own body. That doesn't make me an incubator - it makes me a member of the human race.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (08-02-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    This will never happen. Unborn babies are not recognised under law as having rights in this country. If a pregnant woman is engaging in illegal activity the policy already have powers to do something. I would be happy to see a pregnant woman taken to a rehab unit instead of jail if she has an illicit drug problem.

Apart from altering the treatment for pregnant women engaging in actual illegal activity I can't see any of this ever happening. Nor should it.
    We have fetal homicide laws in WA already so they are recognized. I'm not surprised this has started in QLD, women don't even have the right to an abortion unless the continuation of pregnancy would pose serious danger to the mother physically or mentally.

I agree it is a terrible slippery slope for women's rights

"Those children also deserve the right to a full life and health and should not be disadvantaged simply because of the actions or inaction of their birth mother," he says in the submission.
    What about all the children who are born via elective c/s or who are not breastfed? They are disadvantaged (or even die) because of the actions or inactions of the birth mother.

This whole concept sickens me.