+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    We are all human.

I strongly believe society would be better off if we judged less and helped more.
    I do have one more question. What sort of "help" would others suggest?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I don't agree in every case. I've seen women have baby after baby all born addicted to drugs when mother has been given every opportunity of help and laughs in the face of it. Even revels in it, not all people are good. How can it be right to let baby after baby be born suffering without intervening.
    Agree!!!

not all want help or give a **** about the baby .. For some it's the second or third baby and they just continue being a rotten woman ... Some people are just evil

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Agree!!!

not all want help or give a **** about the baby .. For some it's the second or third baby and they just continue being a rotten woman ... Some people are just evil
    And most aren't evil. All need support. It's easier to sit back and judge though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post

Bodily autonomy is paramount. Always.
    This is not aimed at you directly but I find the 'bodily autonomy over everything else' is a ridiculous pie in the sky notion.

We don't have full autonomy in other aspects of our lives. There are things, that society as a whole dictates is unacceptable and this is reflected in the law. Murder, assault, burglary, rape, fraud.... The list goes on. We can't do whatever we want, we don't make our own rules.

We don't have full bodily autonomy either. We can't do whatever we what we want with our bodies as there are some things society has dictated are unacceptable and this is reflected in the law. We can't put certain drugs into our body. Women can't walk around in the mall top less. We cant kill ourselves. Men can't slap the salami in public.

We can't do whatever we want with our own bodies, this is nothing new. So why are people getting so worked up about restricting a pregnant woman's ability to break the law by taking drugs... While she happens to be pregnant? What makes this issue so different? I know people believe this will lead to an erosion of womens rights but I think thats cr@p. Such a law will never cover pregnant women eating cheese or lettuce. It will only extend so far as society wants it to. We live in a democracy with freedom of speech and regular elections. And Approximately 50%of the voting public have vaginas.

If a woman thinks that her life is diminished because she no longer has the right to do stuff universally accepted as wrong, harming her baby in the process.... then I suggest her life wasnt worth much to start with.

A more likely scenario .. I think the feminists amongst us are over thinking the issue in some parts (... Being fat and pregnant will get you arrested) and underthinking it in others (bubs and mums cant both have rights....women must be able to do whatever they want with their body).
    Last edited by VicPark; 09-02-2013 at 18:27.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (09-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Slap the salami *sniggers*

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Lock up risk-taking mothers

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Slap the salami *sniggers*
    So I wasn't the only one that found that amusing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    As a lawyer I also find this constant bodily autonomy argument can be confusing. We don't have full bodily autonomy in this country. Any law about search and seizure, the taking of blood forcibly, even being breathalysed is against bodily autonomy.

Yes it is correct in relation to abortion but it's not the answer to every argument. If a person is detained under the mental health act they can various procedures performed on them by court order and without their consent.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (09-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (10-02-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    As a lawyer I also find this constant bodily autonomy argument can be confusing. We don't have full bodily autonomy in this country. Any law about search and seizure, the taking of blood forcibly, even being breathalysed is against bodily autonomy.

Yes it is correct in relation to abortion but it's not the answer to every argument. If a person is detained under the mental health act they can various procedures performed on them by court order and without their consent.
    I realize it doesn't extend to every aspect of our lives but when it comes to reproduction (not wanting to slap the salami in public!) I believe women should have bodily autonomy.

Re: bolded part, I can vouch for this happening to pregnant women too, forced cs and inductions. I realize these women may of had a mental illness but yeah I don't believe for one minute that this would not be used against a woman planning a 'high risk' birth.

Sorry for any mistakes there, wiggly toddler in my lap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I realize it doesn't extend to every aspect of our lives but when it comes to reproduction (not wanting to slap the salami in public!) I believe women should have bodily autonomy.
    Why are the reproductive organs so special? Why should use of the vagina/uterus/fallopian tubes automatically mean you can do whatever you want? Why should someone be able to freely take drugs while pregnant, but not allowed to take a crap in public?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (09-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (10-02-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why are the reproductive organs so special? Why should use of the vagina/uterus/fallopian tubes automatically mean you can do whatever you want? Why should someone be able to freely take drugs while pregnant, but not allowed to take a crap in public?
    I don't believe people should be able to do illegal things while pregnant, just the same as a non-pregnant person is not allowed to do illegal things. I do not believe pregnancy should prevent you from having the same rights as everyone else.

ie. if we are going to make rehab compulsory, make is so for everyone. If we are going to make alcohol illegal make it so for everyone.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-02-2013),onionskin  (10-02-2013)