+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Humor me, how are they going to identify you as pregnant? Will we all walk around with it stamped on a foreheads?
    You just quoted the answer after this statement! We aren't talking about the law picking women up off the street or in bars. You are now just being silly.

Your point of view kind of loses its credibility when you grasp at straws and make silly statements based on your misunderstanding about what others are trying to get across.

I must agree with what she said, most of these women are already in the system. Unfortunately there will be thousands of pregnant women addicted to drink and or drugs who will go without support and help to kick an addiction that is clearly effecting their unborn child.

This law would be a start, to help those women and babies already in the system. The laws whilst I agree with a PP can be interpreted incorrectly (I wasn't being naive), if the law is just about alcohol and drugs, it eliminates things like unhealthy food during pregnancy (lettuce, ham, brie) or obese pregnant women.
    Last edited by CuddlesAwait; 09-02-2013 at 11:05.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    This is about keeping women and their babies safe and healthy while pregnant and in utero. It has nothing to do with the men.
    This is not about punishment.
    But where do men come into it? Should we make sex with an addict illegal, so no babies can result. Sometimes the men in these situations are as much a part of a womens addictions/bad choices. Why do men not come into it? It is impossible to make a baby without their sperm, yes.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-02-2013),Boobycino  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do they afford the drugs and alcohol in the first place?
    Heroin addicts can have $1000 a day habits, women beg, borrow, protitute themselves and steal for it.
    Not everyone with a habit begs, borrows or prostitutes themselves, some of these women you refer to are well paid in their professions. Not everyone who takes illegal drugs/drinks excessively are destitute.

I don't disagree that women need help but it must come from within and not be forced, if anyone is to successfully change, it must come from something inside them, not externally and with court orders.
    Last edited by onionskin; 09-02-2013 at 11:12.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (09-02-2013),VanityFey  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Oh so it's ok if drug-addicts get pregnant... We shouldn't try to stop that happening... It's just not ok after the fact, that's when we should step in.

I was just suggesting a preventative measure you might consider.
    How do you prevent people from having sex? It's irrevelant to the topic. Can you help women when they're pregnant? yes. They are still entitled to have children and mother these children.
    I know addicts who have turned their lives around, are amazing contributors to society, counsellors, youth workers etc. have families and are good parents raising well rounded kids. Do they deserve to not have those children. Maybe its harsh of me to say no. So why not help them when they're pregnant, force them off drugs and maybe it can be the start of a new life for them and they can go home with their babies rather than have them taken at birth which is far more traumatic in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Petrol doesn't cost that much

I think they are appropriate questions for the discussion, I am not being aggressive nor am I upset so please don't try to infantise me. IMO your point of view is impractical I was interested to hear how you thought it would be policed?
    Nothing is full proof and I'm sure women will do what they can to avoid detection. Others may welcome the help, see it as a good thing and come out alive and healthy.
    We have drink driving laws, people still drive drunk and get away with it. Does it mean we shouldn't have drink driving laws?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    No the courts can order you to do a set amount of time in rehab. My DS1s father had to do it as a condition of his parole. It was residential rehab for 6mnths and if he left he would've breached parole and gone back to jail.
    Maybe it varies state to state?
    Sorry to hear about your brother, mine is exactly the same so I empathize with you on how much it hurts to see them destroying themselves.
    Yes.
    I did say in my last post it can be a condition of parole but is not mandatory like jail is. You don't HAVE to do rehab, you can go back to jail. Jail is forced, rehab isn't. Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    And back to forced rehab.
    Who is the expert to say forced rehab doesn't work?
    It has never been done in this country. We force jail on people and sitting in a 4x4 cell is suppose to "rehabilitate" people, so why not a rehab with proper support? If you can sentence someone to 12months in jail, why not 12months in rehab?
    If jail is good enough, why not rehab? Perhaps like any program it doesn't work the first time, but the 2nd 3rd 4th time it might help? Jail has alot of addicts who have commited crimes and yes they deserve the punishment, but it should be part of their sentence, no being able to refuse, they must do a high security rehab stay aswell.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Can I suggest that you have a look over Deliriums posts in this thread. She makes some excellent points about the fact that a law like this could open the door for women who may, be overweight, have bad diet, take a medication, or any number of other ways in which a law like this could be used to deny a womans right to her body.
    Yes definitely some good points! I suppose it is hard because of where to draw the line!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nothing is full proof and I'm sure women will do what they can to avoid detection. Others may welcome the help, see it as a good thing and come out alive and healthy.
    We have drink driving laws, people still drive drunk and get away with it. Does it mean we shouldn't have drink driving laws?
    I'm glad you agree nothing is fool-proof. We do have screening processes for drunk drivers don't forget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How do you prevent people from having sex? It's irrevelant to the topic. Can you help women when they're pregnant? yes. They are still entitled to have children and mother these children.
    I know addicts who have turned their lives around, are amazing contributors to society, counsellors, youth workers etc. have families and are good parents raising well rounded kids. Do they deserve to not have those children. Maybe its harsh of me to say no. So why not help them when they're pregnant, force them off drugs and maybe it can be the start of a new life for them and they can go home with their babies rather than have them taken at birth which is far more traumatic
    I think it's relevant... We're talking about knowingly endangering human lives aren't we?

You agree they're entitled to have children, but then you say it's unthinkably cruel to have them under these conditions. So I was suggesting a way to minimise the chances of this happening to begin with because let's face it, that growing baby is going to suffer from the start and will suffer in utero during the rehab process too.

You say help them when they're pregnant. How about we help them before they're pregnant and/or take measures to prevent pregnancy while they're still addicts? this would also reduce incidents of violence against women/forced pregnancy by someone who might intend for her to be incarcerated etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    I think it's relevant... We're talking about knowingly endangering human lives aren't we?

You agree they're entitled to have children, but then you say it's unthinkably cruel to have them under these conditions. So I was suggesting a way to minimise the chances of this happening to begin with because let's face it, that growing baby is going to suffer from the start and will suffer in utero during the rehab process too.

You say help them when they're pregnant. How about we help them before they're pregnant and/or take measures to prevent pregnancy while they're still addicts? this would also reduce incidents of violence against women/forced pregnancy by someone who might intend for her to be incarcerated etc.
    No you are now talking about forced sterilisation and forced abortion.
    You can't force any of that, if she wants to have the baby and continue with the pregnancy it is under these conditions. Taking illegal substances or drinking excessively, repeatedly on an ongoing basis that will knowingly cause harm or injury will be enforced by law and a forced stay in rehabiliation until such due time that the baby is safely delivered blah blah blah.
    This is what I mean. Forced sterilisations and abortions is irrelevant to me in the discussion. I am talking about the women who are pregnant by their choice who choose to keep the baby.