+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Mum has bub taken away, fills empty hole with more drugs, maybe has another baby...this time maybe she will get it right...cycle repeats. I do think there should be alot more services available and offered, I really do, and there needs to be follow up. I just don't think enforcement is the way to go.
    They lose their kids anyway to foster care or family. My brothers ex an alcoholic, 3 kids 2 in care 1 in and out depends what the social worker and judge sees. Then she wanted another kid with my brother (my heart sank) I'd be livid if she did while an alcoholic and 2 kids already in foster care.
    Unfair for the poor kids. Do I care about her rights to procreate or ingest alcohol? No I worry for the poor little soul that has no rights to their health because its mum wants to drink alcohol till she passes out.
    Last edited by Someones Mummy; 08-02-2013 at 22:04.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    You do have to want to I agree, but I've seen so many of my brothers friends die before that happens and don't know many long term users who have that light bulb moment you know?
    It's all money, jails are private funded that I know of, government may give some funding but ultimately drug rehabs cost more and addicts aren't high enough on the agenda for a government to spend money on it.

Drug addicts do want to quit too, it's not a life they enjoy, but it's hard and the help available isn't enough. When rehab gets hard my bro walks out, if it were up to me Id force him to stay for at least a year, he's been in jail that long plenty of times for pety crime all related to drugs. He's not a bad person and deserves time but help too.
    Forced rehab isn't a horrible thing. It's better than jail or death by overdose
    It's easy to see you care alot about your brother.

I agree forced rehab is not worse than death by OD or otherwise, I'm just not convinced it will stop that. At all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (09-02-2013),Someones Mummy  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah sorry getting abit emotional. Ill leave it there and let you get back to topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Mum has bub taken away, fills empty hole with more drugs, maybe has another baby...this time maybe she will get it right...cycle repeats. I do think there should be alot more services available and offered, I really do, and there needs to be follow up. I just don't think enforcement is the way to go.
    Years ago we had a couple living next door to us. They were addicts, not sure if it was heroin or speed. She also had pretty severe mental health issues. In the 4 years they lived next door she had 4 children, all taken at birth. She would sit out the front, drunk and wailing about how they kept taking her babies and how she would have another one soon and things would be different and she could keep the child. I found out she had actually had another before she moved next door, so 5 taken. It was very very sad...

Look I don't know the answer to women that have drug and alcohol issues (and often dual diagnosis) who continue to have children. I'm painfully aware of the effects in a range of areas given my work background. Of course it's extremely sad. many social workers also don't have the answer thus why the cycle continues. I don't claim to have all the answers, all I know is locking them up as per the story, against their will just doesn't sit right with me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yeah sorry getting abit emotional. Ill leave it there and let you get back to topic.
    I'm sorry you have a family member going thru drug addiction. The penny has dropped why you feel so strongly....

Thanks
    Reviews

It's a difficult issue, a lot of great points have been raised and its an interesting debate.

I can't help thinking back to a time when rights came with responsibilities. Being pregnant is such a huge responsibility, and choices made effect the entirety of someone else's life.
    I just don't feel right saying that an unborn child has no rights. They are the ones living with the physical and mental disabilities caused by these "mothers" exercising their rights.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Cue  (08-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't had time to read the whole thread but he system is supposed to protect babies from unfit parents and unsavory environments once they are born - why is it any different in utero!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (09-02-2013)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah that's correct about taking centrelink payments. But we've found it very very difficult to get in because they're always full.
    I think when you mean court ordered, like part of parole but its still voluntary, a court doesn't actually order it but will release you early if you tell them thats what you're doing. Does that make sense?
    No the courts can order you to do a set amount of time in rehab. My DS1s father had to do it as a condition of his parole. It was residential rehab for 6mnths and if he left he would've breached parole and gone back to jail.
    Maybe it varies state to state?
    Sorry to hear about your brother, mine is exactly the same so I empathize with you on how much it hurts to see them destroying themselves.
    Last edited by Mod-Myztik; 08-02-2013 at 23:38.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    I haven't had time to read the whole thread but he system is supposed to protect babies from unfit parents and unsavory environments once they are born - why is it any different in utero!!
    Can I suggest that you have a look over Deliriums posts in this thread. She makes some excellent points about the fact that a law like this could open the door for women who may, be overweight, have bad diet, take a medication, or any number of other ways in which a law like this could be used to deny a womans right to her body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yep. Would love to see all addicts arrested and forced into rehab, addicts that put unborn babies, their own children and general society in danger by their addiction. Don't wait till they commit a crime and put them in jail, enforce the fact they're using an illegal substance which is already a crime and make rehab the punishment.
    Wow. And how would they define addict?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (09-02-2013)