+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Lock up risk-taking mothers

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    And this is exactly how the slippery slope starts

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    Slippery slope doesn't need to start at all. When I am PM I will specifically write a clause in the law that the law does not cover home births. See how easy that was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Arghhh it reminds me of my car accident when pregnant. I went into labour that day, my baby probably said this b is crazy get me the hell out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    As for overweight women being written into the law... Fat chance of that happening (pun intended). As for the car example, sorry I think that example is a little dramatic.
    Why would there be no chance though? We are talking about taking risks during pg that can or do harm the baby and taking rights away to ensure that stops happening. Being obese causes GD and other issues. Just as drinking causes FAS and heroin causes withdrawal babies. And driving you are potentially placing your child at risk are you not?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Lock up risk-taking mothers

I don't agree with the slippery slope scaremongering. It's not a slippery slope if lawmakers make robust water tight laws. If they 'go too far' and the public disagrees, the public can vote them out and vote in someone else who will make laws they agree with.
    I don't actually know of any water tight laws. Someone will always fine a loop hole

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VanityFey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

But your ignoring the point that what YOU deem to be safe/not safe for pregnant women isn't what everyone would deem the same.

Sure alcohol, drugs, etc are no brainers. what about medications that are not class a? What about soft cheeses, home births that are not classed as low risk? There are many many people out there who think that these practices harm the baby, and therefore shouldn't be done etc. How do we trust that all the people making the rules etc are going to be reasonable? We can't. Therefore, it opens up a slippery slope, when you take away a woman's rights.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by the girls mum View Post
    I dont think that the law is going to incorporate everything and anything though? They will stick to very specific areas - possibly mental health and substance abuse I would imagine....
    How do you know though? If this is brought in, health advocates are going to say but what about women that do this and this? they are all potentially endangering their babies with active choices they are making. This is the point I'm trying to make. Once this happens, I see a whole range of 'sins' being added to the list...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    But your ignoring the point that what YOU deem to be safe/not safe for pregnant women isn't what everyone would deem the same.
    Yep that's what I'm trying to say, maybe not so succinctly lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think you can be reasonable though.
    There aren't many drugs that are class a (from memory) Most prescriptions aren't? Need to check that.
    Food and consuming things like listeria can be classed as viruses illness beyond your control because you don't know what will make you ill and any food drink can (that wouldn't normally)
    Forgot the rest of the examples but I think you can be reasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    There aren't many drugs that are class a (from memory) Most prescriptions aren't? Need to check that.
    But what you think is reasonable may differ from someone else? Cant you see that? It's subjective.

My example from earlier was me being condemned for taking a class b drug ling term throughout my 3 pregnancies, because I was endangering my unborn children. I'm sure this person isn't the only person Who thinks like this. For them, it would be reasonable to ban the use of them. That's the point that I'm trying to make.

ETA: I actually also had a Dr refuse to prescribe this medication to me in my first pregnancy, despite being hospitalized 3 times in the space of 2 weeks and losing over 12kg in the first 14 weeks of my pregnancy. The next time I was admitted to hospital they said that that Dr was insane to not prescribe it as my health was seriously deteriorating - so 2 people, in the medical field with completely different opinions. How do we know that the extreme one won't be one of the ones contributing to the laws?

Last edited by peanutmonkey; 08-02-2013 at 18:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Slippery slope doesn't need to start at all. When I am PM I will specifically write a clause in the law that the law does not cover home births. See how easy that was!
    When you are PM I'm moving to Sweden!!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-02-2013),headoverfeet  (08-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-02-2013),SassyMummy  (08-02-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (08-02-2013)