+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need advice on council fine & landlord!

So I was opening my mail and I accidently opened a letter addressed to my landlord, oops! It was a letter from our local council fining him $200 for not maintaining the "garden"(4ft long dead grass, shrubs, weeds) out the front of our house which we're renting.

The fine is addressed to him but it was issued early Jan this year. We moved in mid Nov last year, but when we moved in the backyard had been maintained but not the front yard. The property manager said he was still getting around to do the front but never did & it states on the condition report (with photos) that the back had been mowed but the front was still a mess with grass, weeds and shrubs.

I'm not sure who is to pay for the fine. I believe he is but I'm worried that even though it was his responsibility to maintain the front before we moved in, it was issued while we reside here. Who do you think is at fault? If he wants me to pay for it do you think I'd have a chance to fight for him to pay the fine at vcat.

TIA Teacupbunny.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to teacupbunny For This Useful Post:

NurseAnni  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Need advice on council fine & landlord!

So it's not your responsibility to maintain the yards?

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

To add, if it the responsibility of the landlord he has to maintain the yards and pay any costs associated (ie fuel for mower, fines for not maintaining).

If it was up to the agent to organise a gardener, well I believe they will have to pay the fine.

Contact your agent and explain opening the letter by mistake and take it from there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

teacupbunny  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Every rental I have ever lived in its been the responsibility of the tenants to maintain lawns and gardens....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

What does your lease say about whose responsibility it is to maintain the lawns?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    To add, if it the responsibility of the landlord he has to maintain the yards and pay any costs associated (ie fuel for mower, fines for not maintaining).

If it was up to the agent to organise a gardener, well I believe they will have to pay the fine.

Contact your agent and explain opening the letter by mistake and take it from there.

It's our responsibility to maintain the yards within our lease but it was his responsibility to do so before we moved in late last year which he never did. A few weeks back we had gone out for the day & and when we came home the front yard had been mowed so we figured the landlord after 2 months had finally gotten around to organizing a gardener but now I'm thinking maybe it was the council who did it in the end?.

Thanks
    Reviews

If the front yard was in disarray when you began renting then I would say its up to the landlord.

Our council dosnt just fine the house owner, they give a warning and allow you time to fix whatever they are not happy with.
    We were renovating the front of our house and a ranger knocked on our door and spoke to us and we agreed to have the old bricks removed within 2 weeks. We had a letter sent to us from the council to formalise it. We moved the bricks and had no more issues.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It should of been done before you moved in and was on the condition report, so I assume its his. Did you chase it up and has it been done yet?
    Btw don't tell them you opened his mail, I think it's illegal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teacupbunny View Post
    It's our responsibility to maintain the yards within our lease but it was his responsibility to do so before we moved in late last year which he never did. A few weeks back we had gone out for the day & and when we came home the front yard had been mowed so we figured the landlord after 2 months had finally gotten around to organizing a gardener but now I'm thinking maybe it was the council who did it in the end?.
    id say it will be yours then i highly doubt the council would have sent someone to mow it so it must if been your landlord but if you have been in there since nov and it was issued in Jan surely it will fall onto you ?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    It should of been done before you moved in and was on the condition report, so I assume its his. Did you chase it up and has it been done yet?
    Btw don't tell them you opened his mail, I think it's illegal?
    I've accidentally opened landlords mail before. Sometimes you don't think you just see the address and open it. This is a MUST TELL. There is a fine, they have to know.