+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do I stop feeling like this?

Hello not too sure if its the right area to post this but hopefully I can gain some advice on how to deal with my feelings.
    I have a wonderful DH and mum who I talk too regularly about my feelings and they give me advice till their blue in the face but it doesn't make me any better.

I have a fear of my children being sick. I worry all day and all night and have bad panic attacks and can cry for hours.

My 3 year had seizures and now everytime they are sick I just panic and worry and constantly crying thinking they are going to have another febrile seizure. They have been sick recently and went to hospital as they had a virus with high temp and I lost it. I was helpless and the more I feel like this the more I stress and panic I am not strong for my children. It's just one big circle I go round in.

How do I be strong? How do I stop this worry and go into meltdown?

I have a newborn and am starting to do the same.

I seriously cannot handle these feelings? Who do I talk to or how do I stop this?

I feel like I am a failure to my children as its my fault if they get sick. Just seeing the look in their eyes I go into meltdown

Please help x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Go to your GP, ask for a mental health plan and get a referal to see a psychologist

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    Go to your GP, ask for a mental health plan and get a referal to see a psychologist
    What's a mental health plan? Does it sound like I need help or can I fix this myself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Seeking help definately won't hurt I suffer anxiety so know it all too well! Feel free to inbox me xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mumsrulz View Post
    What's a mental health plan? Does it sound like I need help or can I fix this myself?
    A mental health plan provides you with a certain number of free psychology sessions. Been there and done that myself, and was very beneficial. I've also been on Xanax years ago for anxiety and it really helped. I'm sorry, but what you're describing doesn't sound like a quick fix or fix it yourself situation - sometimes we need a bit of outside help first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I am the same, although my anxiety sounds milder than yours.

Whenever my children are "off" in any way, tired, even a mild snotty nose then I get all sick in the stomach with worry and pester my hubby with "oooh I hope they're not getting sick, are they sick do you think? Oh no!" until he goes insane. If they have a fever I'm a nervous wreck.

I'm not sure where this fear of mine comes from because we haven't really had a "sensitizing event" like you have with your son's seizure... possibly because I work in healthcare and have seen a lot of seriously ill children it preys on my mind more.... But I can see how if you had a terrifying event like a seizure happen to your child you could be very preoccupied and scared with the possibility of it happening again.

The problem comes when the anxiety gets out of control, and is disproportionate to the actual situation. Often sufferers can identify that something is not right for example "I know the odds of my son getting seriously ill are incredibly small and I have no reason to be particularly worried about this but for some reason I can't stop obssessing about it".

It would definitely be classified as an anxiety disorder, and I suspect yours would have been sparked from your son's seizure. This is completely understandable. BUt it's a total misery being anxious (I speak from personal experience!). I recommend you look into counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). CBT is basically all about getting control over our own thoughts - trying to identify whether a certain thought (e.g. "ooh no what if he gets sick?!?") is helpful or unhelpful, and trying to dismiss the unhelpful ones by confronting them/rationalising etc. I'm sure a psychologist could explain it better but it would be a very effective technique for someone in your situation.

This website has a good summary article on anxiety. http://www.abc.net.au/health/library...07/1828950.htm Have a read of the "Generalised Anxiety Disorder" summary, which is where I reckon you would fall.

Anyhoo, bit rambling sorry, I hope this has helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just can't bring myself to see my GO - what if he thinks I am looney, will it change our relationship?? When I take my children there will he think oh the crazy woman is back. He is so so lovely I would hate to change things.

Today I started crying just thinking of my child having a fever - they don't have one but I was crying thinking of when they will next. I HATE feeling like this I just want it to stop so bad how is some stranger going to change my mindset??

How does everyone else deal with sickness??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumsrulz View Post
    I just can't bring myself to see my GO - what if he thinks I am looney, will it change our relationship?? When I take my children there will he think oh the crazy woman is back. He is so so lovely I would hate to change things.

Today I started crying just thinking of my child having a fever - they don't have one but I was crying thinking of when they will next. I HATE feeling like this I just want it to stop so bad how is some stranger going to change my mindset??

How does everyone else deal with sickness??
    Your gp will not just think you're a loony. If you don't feel comfortable seeing your regular gp, find a gp who you don't normally see. Please try and get help. You will feel a million times better at the end of the journey you're about to take. I promise

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was like this really bad with after the birth of my ds. Also temperature used to worry me as well and I used to worry constantly whether he was too hot or too cold.
    Dont worry, it is treatable. Like Hokey said get a mental health plan from your gp and find a psychiatrist. I ended up doing a fair bit of CBT ( cognitive behaviour therapy) as well as taking medication for a bit. I'm perfectly fine now but I look back on some of my behaviour and it was a little nutty.

you'll be fine xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still haven't been to GP hopefully next week as I hopefully will have someone to looks after the children however last night I went into total meltdown my toddler got a very high temp and I just crumbled. Out of control really to the point of vomiting etc. is this normal with anxiety?

Today I haven't done a thing except take them to the doctor and sit by their side and watch them all day. I walk away to cry and have started pulling my hair out from nerves.

I hate myself.

I feel like a failure of a mother.