+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Chronic insomnia

Hi

I am roughly 12 weeks and have been suffering with insomnia since I discovered I was pregnant at 5 weeks. I have terrible problems sleeping at the best of times but pregnancy seems to really bring it on.

With DD1 and DD2 I was beside myself, but my OB couldn't recommend anything. It wasn't as bad with DS1.

I have 3 kids and little opportunity to rest during the day. I find if I go to bed early I wake at 1 and am awake til 5am. I just cannot get back to sleep.

I exercise, eat well etc all the things that help when I'm not pregnant. I have heard you can take restivit when pregnant although the warning label says you can't. I am going to speak to my OB about it next appointment but he's old school and I'm concerned he won't do anything.

Has anyone else taken it or anything else to help sleep? I want to discuss it with him so any info I can gather would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I suppose you've tried magnesium?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the way I feel so sorry for you. I go through patches of insomnia and it's AWFUL. And I'm not even pregnant!

Hope you find something that works.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chronic insomnia

Double post
    Last edited by pippi; 07-02-2013 at 17:52.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Chronic insomnia

Can you ask for sleeping tablets? I had them when in hospital having DD. don't know if they re safe for the while pregnancy tho. When I had insomnia with DD My GP suggested taking a pregnancy safe anti histamine polyaramine(sp) as it can make you drowsy and it worked for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Chronic insomnia

Could you get your adrenal glands checked? I know adrenal fatigue can cause insomnia over night but exhaustion during the day. I had this but wasn't pregnant, was awful!! Hope you can catch some zzzz's

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Chronic insomnia

As 'ourlittleblessing' said give magnesium a try. I haven't tried it yet but I'm planning to get some soon as I am a really bad sleeper also. Apparently it helps calm your system down so it can help with sleep and stress. It's perfectly safe to take as its one of the ingredients in elevit!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hummingbird1 For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Chronic insomnia

I am 13 weeks pregnant, and like you, have been suffering from insomnia for most of the pregnancy so far. I spoke to a pharmacist, who gave me restavit. She showed me a book that they use which said it was a category A medication, and safe to use when pregnant. I have been taking it for about 4 weeks now. It isn't a miracle tablet, but it does help a bit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mia78 For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Your dr can perscribe something for you

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Chronic insomnia

I'm very similar, have always been a terrible sleeper when dead tired and pregnancy makes it worse.

I have heard magnesium works. I'm getting that restless leg syndrome at night (which could be because of high blood pressure) but I'm told magnesium can help.

Have you asked the pharmacist if you can take any over the counter stuff? Something's might be ok.

I really feel for you, not being able to sleep is so awful. Especially when you need energy to run after your other kids!