+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default measuring 35 w at 32 w....

I'm 32 weeks and just came from midwife appointment and I'm measuring 35 weeks. I had an ultrasound and all the rsdiographer could tell me when I asjedy was yes, your measureing a lot bigger. I'll get report tomorrow but what does this mean? Will they induce me? Will my Due date be changed? I'm with a birth centre and if ur induced u have to give birth in the wards. My DS was 4.32kg, long and big head. This ones a boy too....and I am not a big person myself and don't have nice wide childbearing hips! Also, there is no question on dates at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had the same thing with DS at my 32 week scan - I couldn't believe it. Like you, I'm not big so had some concerns about how I'd birth my big baby boy. I spoke to my Ob about it but nothing changed, dates stayed exactly the same and he totally frowned at my suggestion that maybe I'd be better off having an elective caesarean. In the end I was induced at 12 days past my due date (simply because I was 'overdue' nothing to do with DS' size). He was 4.43kg, 51cm so a decent size... but there were 2 bigger babies in the nursery that week so he wasn't the biggest I had the works, gas, epidural, episiotomy and ventuose assistance but we got there and it wasn't so bad.

All the best! On the bright side, at least you know you've got a big happy healthy boy in there. He did lose weight in that first week like all babies do but it wasn't stressful since he was so big to start with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My main concern I guess is being in a birth centre there are no drugs except gas. I managed that for the last 2 but they weren't measuring bigger.

Thanks
    Reviews

At 32 weeks I was measuring 38 weeks. I had a CS at 39 weeks and DD was 4.2kg. It doesn't always mean a big bub, but if your first was there's a good chance your second will be.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ahh, I see. I guess the other thing to remember too is that these scans aren't always 100% accurate. I have had friends that have been told they were measuring big but their little ones turned out to be average size (although none of them were measuring as big as I was...)

What did the midwife say or suggest? My Ob basically told me to have faith in myself and my body... which I tried very hard to do. I only asked for the epidural very late and in hindsight maybe I could've coped without it. The gas did nothing for me though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got induced at 37.5 weeks due to big baby (head over 95th percentile)and lack of movement, 3 weeks ago (est 4.4kg...my DD was 4kg at 41weeks).
    Had a boy and was only 3.5kg with a smaller head than DD.
    I think its a guesstimate at best, I dont't think your body would produce a baby you couldn't birth - but makes it confusing when the professionals tell you otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, the midwife just calked me and I have to meet with the drs next week. She said they'll do more scans and then decide around 37 weeks if I can deliver in the birth centre or I need to go onto the wards. I so want to avoid that! I had both my bubs in the same birth centre, withvtge same midwives. DD was a water birth, DS a failed waterbirth but I wanted to try for water again with this one. They don't even have baths in the main hospital. I am a bit shattered.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How horrible! One of the big reasons I went private was so I wasn't facing a stay in the wards .
    Fingers x bub went through an early growth spurt and he's back on par with other babies in a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently 36+3 and when I saw my OB the other day he did a scan and the baby is measuring 40 weeks, I'm having a caesarean at 39+5 as I had an emergency one with my daughter 2 years ago. She was 4.080kg at 40+2 so I am kind of expecting another one of a similar weight. Isn't always accurate though, my friend was induced at 38.5 weeks last year because her baby was so 'big', she was 3.5kg!