+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My baby is 'angry' sucking his hands???

Ok I am getting a bit distressed watching my 16 week old.

I observe that he has this huge tendency to bring his hands to his mouth. Almost every time he gets really worked up and frustrated sucking his hand whether asleep or awake. He cant open his palms very well yet and mostly clenched.

I did realise that often when he is hungry or sleepy he would try sucking his hands in a very frustrated manner. However, as I am sitting here having my lunch, this little buddy is sitting on the swing doing just that - trying to suck but very 'angrily', even letting out yells and short screams. He just had a 1.5 hour nap and 150ml of milk.

I am totally baffled. I thought babies love sucking their hands but why is my LO so 'angry' and frustrated??

Is there anyone's babies who are like mine? Is this normal? My DS1 didnt suck his hands very much and I never remember him being so frustrated, so I am really confused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Maybe he is still hungry ?????
    Or
    He is just a sucker try a dummy .....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RuffledPansy For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (27-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Teeeeeeeeeething. My little one who is 3 months is doing the same thing, gross green poos as well. It is early but their gums might be aching in preparation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: My baby is 'angry' sucking his hands???

My DS did this for a few months before he had a tooth cut. Might be tender gums?

Thanks
    Reviews
    is he dribbling lots when he's sucking his hands? offer a cold washer or teether maybe he's looking for something to gnarl on and is frustrated cos the hands arent doing it for him!
    Try a dummy
    Is he old enough for solids? maybe he's still hungry but im sure you would know his hunger signs. sounds like teeth!

Thanks
    Reviews

My darling DS has a dummy but still rams his fist in his mouth given half a chance. He has also shoved my hand in as well. Giving it a good chew.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really dont know. He has been doing this for more than a week at least. Teething? That soon? When he tries to suck his hands, they are wet with saliva but not drooling though.

I offered a dummy but it doesnt stay in his mouth for long. He can grasp things for a short while but he doesnt seem aware it is in his hand.

The feed I gave him had a tiny bit remaining and he refused to drink further. I thought perhaps he wants to continue napping so I tried to make him sleep but he is still wide awake, now watching the mobile and talking away.

He did have one round of green poo but isnt that iron from the formula?

just feel really stressed that he is so frustrated. He was sitting on the swing for only a short while and then he got so upset.

Thanks
    Reviews

You could try a teething ring. I wish DD was older I would give him a chicken bone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought I would update.

Bub doesnt seem frustrated anymore. I think he probably has finally mastered putting the right finger(s) into his mouth nowadays. He would happily suck away even making slurp slurp noises. And he does that right after his milk. It's dessert time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did that from birth and still doing it at 6.5months old. She broke the skin a couple of times thats how bad she was