I get what you're saying. Like it might be:

Water 25%
    Potato 20%
    Sweet potato 20%
    Carrots 20%
    Onion 5%
    Leek 5%
    Celery 5%

So water, out of all the ingredients, is the highest percentage. But it's still 25% water to 75% veg.
    Yep! Exactly this! It makes far more sense how you've explained it! Ta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Truth about baby food...

Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I didn't realise water was so bad for you
    It's more that if water is the biggest ingredient then often a thickener is in the mix.

And I'd not want to pay for mostly water & thickener with some actual food added in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Anything out of a jar or packet is going to be rubbish ... Sometimes I would have to buy one when I was to tired to prepare something ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Truth about baby food...

Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    My son had a mix and is a very fussy Child,

My nephew the same and he would eat the hide off a horse if you let him.

My twin and i would have been fed the same, I had (and still have) a lot of texture issues my twin is not texturally challenged

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    So..... Your situation isn't even similar to what I am talking about? You're talking about three separate examples of kids eating a mix.
    I'm talking about a child who was fed exclusively from jars, tins for every meal for the first few years of life.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Nothing will convince me otherwise that a child who has eaten commercially prepared food for every meal for the first few years of his life has not developed taste and texture aversions because if it.
    I agree with this but not only for commercially prepared foods. I made most if my sons food except jelly and some fruit purées but I stick blended EVERYTHING I made into mush. DS is 5 now and while he does eat most things he sometimes really struggles chewing his food and it takes him a while to eat. Sometimes I say to him to chew his food and he gets frustrated and says 'I don't know how to chew' .. When he does but I dunno.. Struggles? I don't even know if that makes sense.

Anyway we did BLW with DD and the differences between their eating habits are amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Truth about baby food...

Well all you women can shoot me down in flames!!! My 8mth old will not eat anything I cook for him. At all. I waste hours and money on food I know he will not eat, where add my dd 2 ate everything I ever made for her.

So I guess I will be the woman in the super market you all scowl at and judge saying she is lazy, a bogan and doesn't care for my kids health and can ensure my boy will have teeth/chewing/food whatever you reckon because you are all heaps better mothers than me.

Or maybe you can take my screaming boy because he is hungry and feed him your perfect home made food, and give him back to me fully toilet trained too.....

Ffs

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chookylaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by CocktailBubba View Post
    I agree with this but not only for commercially prepared foods. I made most if my sons food except jelly and some fruit purées but I stick blended EVERYTHING I made into mush. DS is 5 now and while he does eat most things he sometimes really struggles chewing his food and it takes him a while to eat. Sometimes I say to him to chew his food and he gets frustrated and says 'I don't know how to chew' .. When he does but I dunno.. Struggles? I don't even know if that makes sense.

Anyway we did BLW with DD and the differences between their eating habits are amazing!
    This I agree with. Mush is mush irrespective of how it appears.

I think that people who home cook most of their meals offer a variety of textures ie cous cous, risoni, rice, pasta and flavours with herbs/spices etc whereas packaged food has no texture and is quite bland.

Therein lies the difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grabbed a pack of that squeezy organic baby food for DD while shopping once, to keep her happy and quiet. She vommed her first mouthful and wouldn't go back. Fair enough, I reckon. It's mainly ground up rice - yuck.

Thanks
    Reviews

DD only eats mush, but then, she is only 5 months old. As she gets a little older, ill introduce textures and chunks and finger foods. But for her age, I think mush is fine.
    My first managed fine on a mix of some homemade and bought baby foods, built up from mush to textures. She is now ten and never had any issues chewing or with textures. Each kid is different I guess

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, I was the same, over blended DD1's food. She is eight now and we are still working on her food fussiness.

DD2 blw, will eat a wider range of food than dd1.

By the way, I have never brought prepared baby food, I wouldn't even think too. Too me its obvious it is devoid of nutritious value. It couldn't sit on a supermarket shelf for years if it in any way resembled real food.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (08-02-2013)