+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I made my own apart from occasionally buying baby food pouches with things like sweet corn in that I wanted bub to try and didnt have the ability to puree myself. I made big batches of different veggies, fruit etc and froze in shot glasses (they were the right serving size!).
    My main issue with the pouches or jars is the mislabeling of them. A lot of them call something 'spinach, chicken and corn' or something like that and its 75% apple or pear, and only 4% spinach, for example. Thats why some babies like them so much, they are so sweet because they contain mostly apple.

ETA somebody told me the reason a lot of baby foods are only 8-10% meat is because babies can only tolerate very small amounts of meat when they are that young. So I dont have a problem with the food being only 10% chicken, its just that fact that its made to look as if chicken is the main ingredient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Truth about baby food...

Oh pffft. Such a crappy one-sided article.

My kids both ate a lot of pouch food as bubs, they are now 2 & 5 and are 'normal' eaters - not super adventurous, but not super fussy either. At least they were eating.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

When I was with an ex and his toddler, we fed her a mix of our food and jars/pouches - sometimes it was a fight to get her to eat either, so we were happy if she did eat something!

Now I'm having my own baby we plan on pureeing the veggies we grow in our garden. If that doesn't work, we'll choose the best pre-made food we can find. If people think buying jars and pouches makes me a bad mother then that's their opinion and they can keep it to themselves, and they can be happy that I'm not raising THEIR child!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    Yeah a bit of a beat up, yes water is listed as the first ingredient but, it doesn't mean theres more water than veg and meat, maybe more than just the potatoes for example.

Each to their own. Im lucky in a way that DD reacts to so many things, Im forced to cook her savoury food from scratch.
    No actually, I think it does, I think the ingredients are listed in amount order, so if water is the first ingredient, then that is what there is most of in the jar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by the girls mum View Post

I especially love the assumptions in this thread that babies fed commercial baby food go on to have eating issues - pffft.
    I dont think it was every baby that is fed a bit of commercial food, its more the children that are fed ONLY commercial food might be more likely to have food issues. Thats how I took it anyways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    I made my own apart from occasionally buying baby food pouches with things like sweet corn in that I wanted bub to try and didnt have the ability to puree myself. I made big batches of different veggies, fruit etc and froze in shot glasses (they were the right serving size!).
    My main issue with the pouches or jars is the mislabeling of them. A lot of them call something 'spinach, chicken and corn' or something like that and its 75% apple or pear, and only 4% spinach, for example. Thats why some babies like them so much, they are so sweet because they contain mostly apple.

ETA somebody told me the reason a lot of baby foods are only 8-10% meat is because babies can only tolerate very small amounts of meat when they are that young. So I dont have a problem with the food being only 10% chicken, its just that fact that its made to look as if chicken is the main ingredient.
    I don't believe that to be true - from 6 months meat/fish/poultry (except processed meat) is really good for babies and easily digested and one of the best low allergenic foods to feed them I believe they use low percentages in commercial baby food is because it's cheaper

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Actually if water is listed first it DOES mean it is the greatest in content

Taken from Food Standards Australia
    I understand this, but I mean the ingredient list might say for example:

Water, potato, sweet potato, carrots, tomato, parsnip, onion, leek, beef, additive 123, preservative 456.

Yes there is more water than potato, but if you add up the potato, sweet potato, carrots, tomato, onion and leeks the water content may be less than the total vegetable quantity, which actually skews the results ie. packet stuff whilst not as pure as home made, isn't probably as watered down as this article makes it out to be.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (07-02-2013),Purple Lily  (07-02-2013)

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I organised a test taste experience with my TAFE students - they were blindfolded and had to `guess' the food they were tasting. They couldn't differentiate and they all agreed that baby food tastes awful.....except the chocolate custard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    I understand this, but I mean the ingredient list might say for example:

Water, potato, sweet potato, carrots, tomato, parsnip, onion, leek, beef, additive 123, preservative 456.

Yes there is more water than potato, but if you add up the potato, sweet potato, carrots, tomato, onion and leeks the water content may be less than the total vegetable quantity, which actually skews the results ie. packet stuff whilst not as pure as home made, isn't probably as watered down as this article makes it out to be.
    I get what you're saying. Like it might be:

Water 25%
    Potato 20%
    Sweet potato 20%
    Carrots 20%
    Onion 5%
    Leek 5%
    Celery 5%

So water, out of all the ingredients, is the highest percentage. But it's still 25% water to 75% veg.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with the article. I don't think it's scare-mongering. I think it's important for people to be informed about these things, and the manufacturers aren't exactly gonna inform people how inferior their product is, are they?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast