+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Truth about baby food...

Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Textures issue with older kids are not from whether or not they were fed jar food or not. Come on these kids have real issues and trying to blame them on there mother is

Sensory process disorders are real.
    I totally agree. My step son doesn't have a sensory processing disorder though and both his Dad and I agree his food aversions stem from his early eating years.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    Really?!?! I would rather be informed and then if I choose to continue to use the product what is there to feel guilty about?
    I totally agree that we all ought to be informed when making decisions about our children. And I wasn't disputing the facts of the article - just that it was one-sided and blatantly used scaremongering tactics and guilt in an attempt to get parents to ditch the commercially-prepared baby food.

I'd like to think that most parents wouldn't feed their babies food from a jar exclusively, but if they did, I'd say it's unfair to judge them harshly on that decision in isolation. They may have placed more importance on another aspect of their child's upbringing - we just don't know what other parents are dealing with.

When it comes to feeding children, I believe most experts - who know how fussy young eaters can be - tell parents not to focus on the content of each individual meal, but rather the bigger picture, ie don't expect a small child to meet its nutritional requirements in each meal, but rather look at consumption over an entire day or even week.

I would hope that when they've got the opportunity, time-poor parents would do their best to cook and freeze their own baby food, or those with fussy eaters would cook something nutritious - ie with hidden vegies and/or protein - so that they're not feeding their kids from a jar all the time. But if they did? It's their prerogative to tell us to mind our own business. After all, aren't we all just trying to do the best we can?

What Alpha Parent said in her article may be true, but her holier-than-thou tone won't sit well with everyone.

Now please excuse me while I dismount my high horse and go make sure my toddler isn't watching something inappropriate on TV...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Truth about baby food...

Jarred food have their place. I have to admit I found the article a little sensationalist. My kids had mostly homemade food, but we took pouches out with us. They are handy when you are in a rush, or going out all day in the sun or similar.

I often used the fruit ones as snacks for my anti-fruit toddler, easy to chuck in my handbag! And better than being stuck with a hungry kid begging me for cake or chocolate!

That said, I have encountered a few people who think they should only feed kids under 12 months jarred food. I don't get that, it is so easy to mash some veg and meat! Clearly a better alternative when you have the time!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I fed DS mostly home made food, but I have to admit I had many jars sitting in the cupboard in case of emergencies or sheer laziness. I made use of them often. I reckon PP are right, it's just a heap of scaremongering.

I didn't feed DS jarred food that regularly because tasting it myself I thought in most cases it tasted foul rofl!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-02-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    What rot,
    My ds ate normal cerial for breakfast, sandwich etc for lunch and jar food for dinner,

Jesus Christ why is EVERYTHING wrong these days,

There appears to be NO choice that isn't 'wrong'

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    Totally agree! Well put

Though there are still people out there who will say, when weaning a baby onto solids and introducing "real" food, that it must be pure, home made, non puree, etc etc.. why don't we all just live on farms and grow our own food??? Is that the next thing we will be judged on, buying our fruits and vegetables from a store?!

I try my best, I make DD's food because it's easier, cheaper and yes, doesn't contain fillers or additives, but far out, who cares if they are fed from a jar or can for a meal a day? Should I start hiding the food jar as I feed DD custard in a foodcourt for fear of being judged?
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 07-02-2013 at 16:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't people read the back of the packets? There's nothing hidden in them, it's all written down. Ingredients are always listed in order of quantity (most to least).

Most of our packet foods are great. There's just a lot of water in them. I notice my son eats more from a pouch than homemade as he needs to to be full.

Thanks
    Reviews
    FYI, I only buy organic, locally-sourced Fair Trade breast milk too - doesn't everyone?
    Last edited by SeaShanty; 07-02-2013 at 16:56.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaShanty For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (07-02-2013),GirlsRock  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't get buying baby food either but with BLW you don't need to!

I assumed most people know that most jarred/packet baby food is not healthy/good for baby? I thought it was more of a convenience thing like fast food? Do people really only feed their child commercial baby food ( not being smart but I've never personally known any one that did)
    I assumed most would know this too but now I'm not sure they do.
    And I agree that you don't need to buy it, I never used it with my boys because I'm very aware that's it crap and I don't find it difficult cooking my own foods and ensuring my kids were eating real food. I would say it is very much a convenience thing for those that can't be bothered making their own.

Thanks
    Reviews

I personally fed ds mostly home made food, as I enjoyed doing it and so I knew what was in it. I did, however, have a few pouches or jars for when we were out and about. My sils on the other hand have both fed their kids only jar food. Tbh I don't think they'd know how to make their own, but to each their own. How people feed their children doesnt affect me or my children, so who am I to judge?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Niki24 For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

DD1 got a mixture, and as she is 10 now, for all I know canned foods were worse then. I was an anxious, 21 year old mum who was naive enough to think the label 'baby food' meant it was, yanno, good for a baby to eat

DD2 so far is having home made purées. They are easy to make and I enjoy cooking for her.

Re the article, I wonder how this stacks up nutritionally for aussie baby foods?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-02-2013)