+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ive never bought jarred or prepackaged baby food and presumed others only did as a convenience or once off. I didn't realise people use this as their childs main source of food. Surely everyone knows its full of crap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Truth about baby food...

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't get buying baby food either but with BLW you don't need to!

I assumed most people know that most jarred/packet baby food is not healthy/good for baby? I thought it was more of a convenience thing like fast food? Do people really only feed their child commercial baby food ( not being smart but I've never personally known any one that did)
    I knew one. I met him at 7 and he couldn't actually "chew" as he'd been fed soft mushy foods from tins and jars or minced...
    It was really quite sad. He's nearly 16 now and still has alot of 'texture' issues.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Truth about baby food...

wow, I am shocked, never gonna buy them again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, for F's sake...! *OP, this is NOT a dig at you - I think it was great you posted the article - but rather at the author's scaremongering*

I have so many issues with this article I don't even know where to start...

How about STOP GIVING MUMS SOMETHING ELSE TO FEEL GUILTY ABOUT?

And that any savvy consumer would already know that commercial baby food is inferior to the homemade stuff and would've weighed up the pros and cons before concluding that their reason for buying a jar of chunky lamb hotpot was pretty good?

And what about all the people who don't wash their fruit and vegies properly before cooking them? There's no possible way of quantifying the amount of pesticides etc their meals contain.

Anyone who's read some of my previous posts on feeding babies and children knows I'm an advocate of healthy, home-cooked meals and have a special interest in nutrition (especially the practice of 'good food as the basis of good health'), but I'm also a realist and know that it's not always possible for parents to feed their children like this all the time.

And as a former journalist, this kind of one-sided pseudo-journalism that's so rife in the blogosphere also gives me the sh!ts in a special kind of way. The only thing I can say in the author's defence is that at least she's honest about the agenda of her blog - "the snobby side of parenting". But calling yourself the "Alpha Parent", implying that you're the best in the game? Give it up.

*OK, forgive my rant, please - I am so sleep deprived I feel like I'm looking after a newborn again - and I fed my 9mo DS a packet of Rafferty's Garden rubbish for breakfast this morning so I'm ripe for a fight

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SeaShanty For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (07-02-2013),chookylaa  (08-02-2013),gizmo  (07-02-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-02-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (07-02-2013),Purple Lily  (07-02-2013),Stretched  (08-02-2013),~Marigold~  (07-02-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Truth about baby food...

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't get buying baby food either but with BLW you don't need to!

I assumed most people know that most jarred/packet baby food is not healthy/good for baby? I thought it was more of a convenience thing like fast food? Do people really only feed their child commercial baby food ( not being smart but I've never personally known any one that did)
    Yes, I know someone who did. Her DS is a shocking, terrible eater now. He will only eat 2 or 3 different foods. I know some BLWed babies or babies who eat all organic lovingly made from scratch food are probably terrible eaters, but it seems for mostly or exclusively jar fed babies it is very common.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I make everything myself and am currently doing a mix of BLW and purees. The only thing I buy for her is baby cereal (Oraganic wholemeal rice) and baby gel/custard.
    90% of the food she eats is homemade, steamed fruit n veg, but I don't beat myself up over giving her the occasional serving of fruit gel or baby custard you buy in jars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally found this to be a very one sided article, adding to the numerous other ways to make mothers (and fathers) feel guilty.

Whilst I'm not in any way condoning using commercial baby food exclusively, using it occasionally when the vast majority of other food eaten is home made, it will in no way cause harm.

The occasional ones I do buy I always check the ingredient list so at least I know what's being eaten by my bub. I usually choose single ingredient ones or those with only a couple (eg sweet potato and carrot) and avoid the casserole type ones as I'm not happy with extras (including apple juice/puree) in those. My informed choice and I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it.

And commercial baby food beats the pants off some other food I've seen mothers feed their babies whilst out - KFC potato and gravy for one....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (07-02-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to add, exclusively buying commercial baby food would be so expensive! I buy almost a fortnights worth of fruit and veg for around $10 from the markets and cook it all up and freeze in meal sized portions. It only takes a couple of hours to do and is so cost effective, not to mention fun! I really enjoy trying new foods for DD, you can't buy what you can make at home anyway.

edit: I pretty much fed DS exclusively on bought baby food (for weaning, as he grew he ate what we did) when I had him years ago so hold no judgement whatsoever against women who do. My god, people judge mothers for everything these days!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 07-02-2013 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Truth about baby food...

Have you ever eaten that jared food?!? Lol it all tastes the same!! I have used it when out with my younger baby but usually make my own. And I finds king my own is a pain in the bottom lol. But if that's what people feed their babies then at least their babies aren't going hungry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Textures issue with older kids are not from whether or not they were fed jar food or not. Come on these kids have real issues and trying to blame them on their mother is

Sensory process disorders are real.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 07-02-2013 at 17:28.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (07-02-2013),dancingchipmunk  (07-02-2013),Jellyfishie  (07-02-2013),Jenga  (07-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (07-02-2013),soccer mum  (07-02-2013),~Marigold~  (07-02-2013)