+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Heart Murmurs....

Yesterday took dd to the drs (because she had a cold, and we monitoring her illnesses) anyway we have left with a referral to a cardiologist!
    Completely took me by surprise (and tbh I'm freaking out!)

The referral says
    "... Systolic murmur in the left sternal edge. Suspect possible mitral regurgitation"

Did some googling... Doesn't seem too serious? But still I'm stressing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think heart murmurs are quite common in children and they often outgrow them.

I had them as a kid. Don't now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Heart Murmurs....

My sister has had a heart murmur since she was a baby and she's never once had a problem in 23 years I know Its easier said than done but try not to stress

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Try not to worry, even if she carries the heart murmur through to adult good it shouldn't cause any dramas. My sister has always had a minor heart murmur but it doesn't bother her she runs 5kms a day, does Zumba and weights with no issues

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My parents learnt that i had a heart murmer when I was in year 6 when I needed an appendesectomy(?) I have had it ever since, they couldn't 'find' it when I was pregnant with my first but it has been 'found' on and off since then. I am 31 and I have NEVER had a problem from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

dd has a heart murmur, we went to the cardiologist and she has PDA, very rare in full term infants (she is 4 now, was 1 and a bit when found) we are on 2 yearly checkups try not to stress! Things may seem bad now but your beautiful girl will be ok

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies Just need to stop over thinking things (what i di best lol)
    She's relatively a healthy baby (besides she keeps getting ear infections and tonsillitis)
    Got an appt for 18th march so will just wait it out.

Dr was more concerned because he hasn't pick it up before, and said that it was very obvious this time :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Heart Murmurs....

Quote Originally Posted by Mummabearr View Post
    Thanks for the replies Just need to stop over thinking things (what i di best lol)
    She's relatively a healthy baby (besides she keeps getting ear infections and tonsillitis)
    Got an appt for 18th march so will just wait it out.

Dr was more concerned because he hasn't pick it up before, and said that it was very obvious this time :/
    Not sure how old my sister was I think she was a few years old when it was discovered (this was at least 20 years ago though). It was only ever picked up when she was sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try not to stress. It could be nothing

DD#2 had a heart murmur picked up when she was younger. Same thing, we went to the Dr as she had been sick and walked out with a referral to a cardiologist. By the time we saw the cardiologist the heart murmur was gone. Although he did check her out properly just in case. He said its actually quite common to get a heart murmur when sick or just after being sick and have it go away.

She is 9yrs old now and she has never had a heart murmur since that one time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 26 years old and still have one (although doctors indicated I would grow out of it), and I'm perfectly fine. Some doctors can pick it up, some can't. All it means for me is I have antibiotics when I have dental work in case of infection. No biggie