Poll: Did you smoke while pregnant?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Smoking while pregnant

Yes I smoked the whole way through my pregnancy. Due to certain stress I had at that time I was smoking 20-30+ a day.. My son was breech and born 3 days early c-section and no problems whatsoever.."touch wood"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to be a heavy smoker and made sure I quit before even TTC. There was no way I was allowing myself to be a parent who smoked.

My baby's health was my number one priority. I'm sorry to say it, but I do find it hard not to judge those who smoke during pregnancy. I know how hard it was for me to give up and it took a long time and many failed attempts, but personally I couldn't allow myself to carry a life inside me and poison myself and the baby at the same time.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyblu11 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (11-02-2015),nuggetty  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I smoked before pregnancy - I'm 23 weeks now. I even smoked during an IVF cycle, which looking back was stupid, I didn't even consider it would be an issue. As soon as our fertilised egg was transferred to me though, I stopped cold. I haven't had a cigarette since then, and have been surprised how easy it's been to give it up. I know a lot of people really struggle - I thought I would I've smoked for 16 years and have tried to quit multiple times. Turns out the baby was motivation enough for me - I honestly couldn't imagine handling the guilt if something had happened, and if something does happen after he's born I would always blame myself so it was easier to remove one reason that could happen that was in my control.

2 friends of mine smoked during pregnancy - one was 13 years ago now, we were young (she was 16 when had bub) and the doctor advised her to cut down not quit. Her boy seems to be doing well, but definitely has some behaviour problems which could easily result from environment as much as smoking during pregnancy unfortunately.
    My other friend that smoked was more recent and she just really struggled with the addictive side so cut down but still smoked. Her bub also seems to be doing well so far but isn't even 1 yet so I guess we'll see.

I totally understand both sides - smoking and not - and wish anyone struggling with quitting all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    No and I've never been a smoker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, never been a smoker. I made DH quit before our DD was born too. Had I have known he was a smoker before we started dating I wouldn't have stuck around either!! That's how much I hate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quit with my first 2 pregnancies as soon as I found out. Was about 5 weeks in with my third pregnancy when I quit, he does have some health problems my third. My other 2 children are well and healthy though. I also didn't take my pregnancy supplements very good with my third pregnancy as I had awful morning sickness, I often feel at fault.

The good thing is I've never smoked since when I quit 5 weeks into my final pregnancy. Maybe a few here and there when out or if someone offers me one or something like that.
    Last edited by zoz; 11-02-2015 at 15:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, as soon as I found out I quit cold turkey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I was a heavy smoker. I loved it actually! (Crazy, I know!) I quit the day I found out I was pregnant with my first on Australia Day 2005 and haven't had one since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I quit when I was 4 weeks pregnant and haven't had one since then (DS is 9 months), it was a good push to finally quit. I only smoked 3-5 a day and it's been 18 months but I still have cravings but hate the thought of how I'd feel after a ciggie now. Good luck and well done to those quitting and cutting down x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave up in 2001, and gave DH the ultimatum - if he is still smoking there will be no kids. He gave up, we had our 1st dd in 2008 and apart from one here and there (usually if one of us have had too much to drink!) We haven't smoked regularly since and certajnly not bought a packet. I saw my sisters placenta when her ds was born, she chain smoked the whole time. the midwife commented on how poorly it looked, discoloured and almost holey - and it was bc of smoking. I saw mine and it looked 100x better (if that is possible for something so ugly!) Her kids seem fine but its the 'what if' of placenta deterioration before birth that I'd worry about.