Poll: Did you smoke while pregnant?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A colleague at my work did the same thing. Drank a bottle + a night, smoked heaps... didn't even try to cut back on anything, and now their little girl has autism, has terrible asthma and suffers seizures. It may or may not have been related, but seriously... you can't do stuff like that while pregnant and expect it to not effect the baby at all. But apparently her and her DH are both in denial now, and they both still smoke and get wasted every night.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

jesssalee  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've always hated smoking, so have never been a smoker myself.

I can't imagine how hard it must be for smokers to give up, or even cut down, regardless of their reasons. I think it's a fantastic achievement for those who have given up, but don't think it's fair to judge others on this when you're not in their shoes. I don't imagine there are many pregnant women who don't WANT to quit/reduce smoking.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (15-03-2014)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was a heavy smoker for about 16 years. When I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks it took me 2 weeks after that to finally quit. I cut back immediately and 2 weeks later wasn't smoking at all. I had one slip up and had 3 cigs one night after a bad day at work. Threw up and havent slipped again.
    It was hard. Really hard. Some days it's still really hard. I didn't use any aids because the Ob said not sure about how safe they are.
    i stopped because I wanted to do everything I could to make sure bubs would be ok. If something went wrong, I couldn't bare the guilt and was paranoid that my partner would blame me.
    I completely understand that not everyone finds quitting as easy as I did this time. For anyone trying to quit, I wish youall the very best. For those cutting down, my Ob told me the amount we smoke makes a difference, so good work for cutting back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

snugglebum  (31-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Legeyt View Post
    No - I've never smoked.

For a different anecdote ... My Brother-In-Law's mother was advised to TAKE UP smoking by her OB/GYN! She'd never smoked before but he advised her it would lead to a smaller baby & easier labour. She smoked for years (& through her 2nd Preg) all on the advice of her Dr! He's certified genius level intellect although very short for the average guy & all our fam is over average height. We joke it was the cigarettes (maybe, maybe not)
    Wow.... Haven't times changed!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't smoke ever since,and when I got pregnant I asked my husband to lessen it especially when I am around. I do not want to inhale that 2nd hand smoke for it was more dangerous. I know someone who still smokes even if she's pregnant, the result? Her son is now 4 years old yet he cannot speak clearly, as if his tongue is really short but it's not. As per the pediatrician, it is 90% possible that it was cause by the smoking of the mother while pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never smoke, not even tried for once. And when I got pregnant, I make sure that I won't inhale smoke from cigarette. I even asked my husband to quit smoking (if possible) or at least lessen it especially when I am around, for I do not want any harm on my baby inside my tummy. I now someone who still smoke even when she get pregnant. She said that she can't quit smoking what ever happens. Sorry,but I think, she loves smoking than his baby in her tummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't help but wonder if maternal smoking is the reason my SIL's baby was stillborn. She didn't cut down at all. It's not going to change anything but still crosses my mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LouLaa View Post
    I can't help but wonder if maternal smoking is the reason my SIL's baby was stillborn. She didn't cut down at all. It's not going to change anything but still crosses my mind
    Hate to say it darl but it is possible as smoking increases the risk greatly.

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you smoke while pregnant?

I'm glad you did, we are all thinking it but of course there's no point in raising it now.

If anyone reading this is pregnant and still smoking, I plead you stop....for the sake of your baby xxxxx